Dust Collection Photos

DC Photos for Rob.doc
I could not find a way to attach photos in User CP so I am starting this thread.
Last couple photos in Reply section if I can do it.
Hi Rob, September 27, 2010

Here are some photos of my DC system. I used my slide names.

1) DC overhead ducting.jpg
This gives a fairly good overall view of the system as it was about a year ago.
View attachment 49528
2) NoWallWye_1.jpg Note the capped end of the Main. This allows for easy expansion. I also allows for easy cleanout. The system has been in for 3-4 years. I have never had to do any cleanout. In fact when I do a modification I am amazed how clean the inside of the system remains...not even any dust except a tiny bit in the small ring juncture where parts join.
View attachment 49529
3) NoWallWyeCloseUp.jpg Notice how the 45* branch to the Main Duct and the 45* preceding that make a 90* turn. The DC itself is on the other side of the wall in an outside entry room that we call the Outhouse.
View attachment 49530
4) NoWallWyeShowing1stDrop.jpg
View attachment 49531
5) RtAngleTurnC45WyeAnd45El.jpg
View attachment 49532
6) DropToLathe.jpg It does not look like it, however the 45 at the top is coming in from below and to the right.
View attachment 49533
7) DropToLathe2.jpg
View attachment 49534
8) OverallViewNorth.jpg
View attachment 49535
9) GoodViewLatheDrop.jpg
View attachment 49536
10) EndStMainTurnAndLatheDrop.jpg
View attachment 49537
11) GoodTwo45sMaking90.jpg

12) LeftSideExitToDC.jpg

Thanks a ton Jim also got them on the email. Will study them all and if needed revert back for some questions.

The bonus thing thats not dust collection that struck me that is real neat in your shop is that set of draws below the cupboard. That is an excellent idea. Those shallow draws. Just the image i been looking for. No more deep draws for me, they only result in more junk being piled on top of each other. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

White PV Size

Hi,

The white PV is all six inch. The black stuff is four inch. The flex drops are 4 inch. The semi-flex stuff at the lathe is 2.5 inch.

I tried 6 inch with a Big Gulp or knock-off (was a gift). The results were about zero improvement on chips. I did not see any change in dust. I suppose there was some improvement in the small, not visible, dust.
Four inch duct with Big Gulp seemed to be the same.
Four inch close to the turning wood was definitely better.
2.5" (trying for increased air velocity) was better yet. However, I was also able to get the 2.5 closer to the wood than possible with the 4".
Two 2.5 inch is a definite improvement over one. It is also twice as much work to move two ducts each time I move the tool rest.

Oh yes, the white PV is labeled "S and D Schedule 35." That is: Sewer and Drain Schedule 35.

I am glad I used the Schedule 35. However, I feel confident that lighter material would have worked just as well and been less expensive.
Some lighter ducting has ripples inside---similar to flex ducting. Do NOT go there.

I purchased my DC before I knew very much about it. I did have enough sense to get 1 micron filtering. The 2 hp seems to work. However, I would really look at 3 hp or more if I were doing it again. As it turned out, I built an attachment to the garage/shop. Therefore I am not breathing the stuff and a less expensive bag would have been fine.

Neighbors are 25 to 35 feet away. They say the DC noise has been absolutely no bother and they spend a lot of time in their patio where I would expect problems.

All of my joints are friction fit and work fine. I do have clamps where four inch flex fastens to the solid stuff.

Enjoy,

Jim

Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Last edited:
Dream

Bob, This DC system was developed over a period of 2 or 3 years. I added to it when the budget was not too tight and/or I could get a good swap.

I started with the current DC unit. I really feel that anything less than that is just an illusion as far as health protection goes. I purchased 40 feet of four inch flex...Actually the forty feet of flex came with the DC as a promo.

After stepping on, tripping on, etc. the flex I bit the bullet and purchased all of the six-inch white PV. I also purchased enough 45* els and reducers to get me started. Then I kept adding on.

I am still improving when opportunity knocks. The four inch flex is slowly becoming history.

I retired and then went back to work part-time, which was fine...I really enjoyed what I do. We got a new contractor a little over two years ago. He has forbidden us to do many of the things that help people. Everything is geared to making money. I now work to make money for luxuries.

Enjoy,

Jim