Weekend in Pismo Beach

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
LOML and I spent last weekend in Pismo Beach CA, about 4 hours up the coast from where we live. We attended a wedding and just spent a couple days chillin'...it's been a long time since we had a real vacation. We stayed at an old hotel (the Pismo Beach Hotel...what a unique name) a couple short blocks from the beach and the pier. The place had been recently refurbished and was very clean and comfortable, and within a block of all sorts of eating and entertainment options.

I had a chance to play with my new (to me) Nikon, and I'm pretty happy with the results. (Need to spend some more time with the owner's manual, though.) Here are a few of the pics...more are available in a photo album here.

The hotel...

DSC_0189 - 800.JPG

The back side of the theatre, now converted to a pretty nice pool hall...

DSC_0345 - 800.JPG

The awesome BBQ joint across the street from the hotel...

DSC_0120 - 800.jpg

LOML showing off the old school elevator in the hotel...

DSC_0335 - 800.jpg

2:00 AM on the pier...

DSC_0144 - 800.jpg

Another late night shot...

DSC_0178 - 800.jpg

Nice location for a wedding...

DSC_0196 - 800.jpg DSC_0217 - 800.jpg

With an interesting view from our seat...

DSC_0214 - 800.jpg

And since it was the beach, after all...

DSC_0312 - 800.JPG

Looks like a nice relaxing weekend Vaughn.

Pictures turned out nice. I like the late night shots out on the pier. :thumb:

Pretty cool.... I had to look up the area on google maps to see if I had been there.... I think we may have driven through on one or more of our trips south... the first wife and I stayed at San Luis Obispo at the Madonna Inn a few times, but don't think we ever went on down to Pismo.... Made the tour at Hearst Castle a couple of times which is nearby.. maybe an hour or so north... somewhere in that area is a junk store... One man's junk is another man's treasure... apt name and interesting to wander through.

Vaughn great pictures especially the ones in your album. You made me very homesick for the beaches we used to frequent in SA.:( Seeing the waves and sea oh boy what a reminder a lake just aint the same.:)

Okay, now THAT'S funny! :p

It was actually a great wedding. They started the processional music with a recording of Michael Buffer doing his trademark "Let's get ready to Rummmmmmmmmmmbbbbbblllllle!!!!!" Here's a pic of Aunt Sandy, the flower girl. And yes, those are pink bunny ears on her head:

DSC_0202 - 800LR.jpg

At the part of the ceremony when the preacher asks if anyone has any objections to the marriage, the flower girl yelled "I do!" The bride said "Be quiet. My brother has a gun." (Her brother is a Las Vegas police officer, and he was in full uniform -- including sidearm -- after having walked his sister down the aisle.)

The bride is a professional dancer, and most of the wedding party was also made up of dancers. There were some serious moves on the dance floor at the reception. :D

Alright! what were you doing out on
the pier at 2:00AM?

Well, the rock bar next door to the hotel closed at 1:30, so there wasn't much else to do at that hour. :rolleyes: :p Actually, it was a great bar with a good band, and I spent a number of years on stage in similar places, so I closed the joint down two nights in a row. (LOML is more fond of sleep than live music and cheering crowds. I'll sleep when I'm dead.) I miss seeing good live AOR* music, since that's apparently no longer offered in Los Angeles. The band was from LA, but according to them, there are essentially no places left in LA for them to play anymore. Everything these days is either DJs, (almost always) crappy original music, or one-night gigs that pay $50.

Any more Beach pictures...:thumb::D

Since LOML was with me, I couldn't get too carried away. :p The bikini photo was a stealth shot cropped from a much larger frame...I didn't have the telephoto on the camera. ;)

* Album Oriented Rock. Like what a radio station might play.