Much better!

A while back I Posted a saw I resharpened that needed a new tote.
1Need to make a handle.resized.jpg
My first attempt failed while chopping the mortise.
2first attempt fail.jpg
Chose another piece of hard maple from my cut-off pile.
3gnarly piece of hard maple.jpg
This is what I ended up with. Notice how the grain changes direction. Don't notice how I got the screws backwards.:eek:
4.jpg
The other side. The color change was not apparent until I put the BLO on.
5.jpg
A shot from the bottom.
6.jpg
And one from the top.
7.jpg
This pic shows how the view angle changes the appearance of the wood. Chatoyance (sp?) is a wonderful thing.
8.jpg
The fit is great, the wood beautiful, I'm a happy man (except for the grease under my fingernails).
9.jpg
I'll add this to my other rescues.
10.jpg
Comments, criticism, more than welcome. Thanks for looking.

That is amazing. I wonder though, how much strength is sacrificed by it being open versus a closed loop? :dunno:
Guess I am used to dull saws that require to much pushing and pulling! :rofl:
Excellent work, guys with big hands could make their own personal fit/size for more comfortable work. Very interesting.

Great job Victor, I'm sure that it fits your hand perfectly, a thing that I can't say about my bought saws, they have hump on the back smaller that yours and they don't feel good in my hand, in fact I've been thinking about modifying them but I don't dare to.

I like very much the handle of the middle one in the last pic. Looks really cool and comfortable.

Thanks for posting them.

Thanks for the compliments everybody. I enjoyed making all three totes. Jonathan, after the first failure, which I had free drawn on the wood (not very well I might say), I figured I should see if I could find a template on line. Got to looking at some very fine old saws and picked the one shown. I've never owned or used an open handled saw but I liked the shape. When I glued the picture to the wood I was careful of the grain direction such that I took advantage of the curve around that knot that you can see. Hopefully it will be plenty strong but it's just a small dovetail saw and I don't expect it will see any heavy use.

Toni, that big hump in the palm is a result of the board being thinner than then the others. It started out about 4/4 but I suffered some pretty bad tearout that I subsequently had to remove. The other two totes are nice and fat and rounded. Like me!

Victor on further examination of the handles i think what really adds to them is the definition you have achieved on the outside edges. That decoration of curves or curls adds nice finishing touch.