1912 Calgary Stampede

Les Elm

My grandfather attended the first Calgary Stampede in 1912 and brought this pennant back home with him.

I had the Glenbow Museum and the Calgary Stamped Museum look at the pennant and they authenticated and appraised.

Guy Weadick produced the first “Frontier Days and Cowboy Championship Contest” soon to be known as the Calgary Stampede. The Big Four – Pat Burns, George Lane, A.E Cross and A.J. Maclean – provided financial backing.

1919 Guy Weadick returned to Calgary to produce the second Stampede, called the Victory Stampede in honour of the end of World War I. The original Agriculture Building with the Victoria Pavilion was completed.

1923 The “Calgary Stampede” merged with the “Calgary Industrial Exhibition” to form the “Calgary Exhibition & Stampede.” Guy Weadick moved to Calgary to produce an annual Stampede at the same time as the Exhibition. He invented chuckwagon racing, downtown attractions and the other community activities that brand the Stampede today.

Les

2rnv76u.jpg

Well Les, you sure changed the information in your post from what I thought it was going to be about. What with all the casting you have been doing, I thought maybe :huh:, you know :dunno:, some cow :eek:, yep, thought you were going to show a casting of some bull poop :eek::doh::eek::eek::dunno::doh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

That is one fantastic penant, great case, great story excellent history. Congratulations!! :thumb:

That is so cool Les. Great piece of Canadiana and history. This is one of the things on my bucket list. I aint going into a box before i been to the Calgary Stampede. My whole life i wanted to be a cowboy. I watch on TV but that aint a touch on what it must be like to be there.

There are so few people i come across in Canada that are multi generation families yet have their history. Its great that you have that penant. :thumb:

Hey Les just thinking outside the box again, how about a new casting. This time a minature picture of a cowboy on a bucking horse.
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49594&d=1285813373
attachment.php

Wrapped around the pen tube and with some mini home made barb wire or better still mini home made rope around the bottom and top. Then cast it in clear.

Could be a cool stampede trophy pen.:)

Attachments

• bucking horse.jpg
    bucking horse.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 67
You know Don looking at the penant again Les you could take the image off the penant itself and reduce it. Just start with high res picture. Even the whole penant. Ok enough i am getting carried away. Anything cowboy and i go nuts.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well Rob if ya want Cowboy come on down. I'll take ya horse back riding in the superstition mountain around where the lost Dutchman mine is supposed to be..:thumb:
Or we can go up to monument valley where Glenn Ford made a number of movies with John Wayne.

Last edited:
Well Rob if ya want Cowboy come on down. I'll take ya horse back riding in the superstition mountain around where the lost Dutchman mine is supposed to be..:thumb:
Or we can go up to monument valley where Glenn Ford made a number of movies with John Wayne.

Rob
You better jump on that it's quite the offer....beats the heck out of widget speculation....

Don one day i will take you up on that offer. :D:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Don one day i will take you up on that offer. :D:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Just name the date, heck I think I might be able to get ya down to Tombstone also. Lets see, horseback riding in the Superstitions, A trip to monument valley, Tombstone, may as well throw in Gold Camp and a tour of an abandoned mine, drive on a jeep trail that the Apaches used to use when they came this way raiding. Better make a week of it Rob.

Really cool case, I have several such Pennants from other occasions, Thanks for the idea of what to do with them. :thumb:
\
Thanks for the posting.:wave: