veneering for the first time

Dan Noren

Staff member
well kids, it's about time i caught up to the 18th century, and tried my hand at veneering. this is going to be the insert for the serving tray in the wine cabinet projet for the state fair next year. the adventure begins...

Attachments

• luan substrate for veneered tray.JPG
    luan substrate for veneered tray.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 32
here are the end results, cut the veneer to size, glued up the substrate, placed the veneer on both sides, and placed between 2 flat surfaces, and piled on everything heavy i could find, up to and including the sewing machine. got up this morning, took everything off, and was greatly disappointed. air pockets all over the place, and 3 big ripples on the bottom (of all places). what the heck happened here? there was at least 100 lbs of weight on it. could it have been that my veneer was so old (almost 7 years) that it was useless? if so, i'll have to get more veneer and try again....

There are a few good books on veneering. One I recommend is “Woodworker’s Guide to Veneering and Inlay”, by Jonathan Benson. About $16.50 at Amazon.

Also, I have some veneering tutorials on my web site but most are advanced techniques.

Mike