Screened Patio Questions

Ed Nelson

I have been asked to screen in a patio and wanted to see if you guys can suggest materials. Since this will be exposed to the weather, I'd prefer to use something other than 2x4s, but I'm not sure what my options are.

This is a sketch of the existing structure. This is on a condo unit. the roof of the patio is also the second floor balcony.
Homanpatiobefore.jpg

The end product is not anything particularly difficult. Just looking for material options.
Homanpatio.jpg

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Hi Ed, :wave:
First may I say your drawings with SU are very impressive. Good Job:thumb:
In my experience over the years, here in Houston, doing decks, arbors, patio shades, gazebos and a couple screened in walls, we used redwood, cedar, and pressure treated pine. Cypress like Marty is using I think would work too. I am not well versed on the effectiveness of wood preservatives like "Thompson's water seal" but anything to preserve the wood wood:D help. I have seen rotted clearheart redwood at my home in a matter of 25 years untreated conditions.
A few questions, painted? Animals, or small children? Water gets in does water get out? Easily replaceable screens?
Sounds like a fun one, enjoy the job!
Shaz :)

First may I say your drawings with SU are very impressive. Good Job:thumb:
In my experience over the years, here in Houston, doing decks, arbors, patio shades, gazebos and a couple screened in walls, we used redwood, cedar, and pressure treated pine. Cypress like Marty is using I think would work too. I am not well versed on the effectiveness of wood preservatives like "Thompson's water seal" but anything to preserve the wood wood:D help. I have seen rotted clearheart redwood at my home in a matter of 25 years untreated conditions.
A few questions, painted?yes Animals 2 cats, or small children?no kids, retired, single ladyWater gets in does water get out? likely Easily replaceable screens? undecided
Sounds like a fun one, enjoy the job!
Shaz :)

Hi Shaz! Thanks for the input! I've done several projects for this lady and we've become good friends. This enclosure is the toned down from the original idea of a sun room. One of the thinks I am looking for is a synthetic material since the only load will be the screen. Think low to no maintenance! I know the decking industry has done a lot with resins and I'm thinking I've seen dimensional sizes, but I can't locate a source. Cedar, cyprus, or redwood is a viable alternative.

Ed

Ed

I know this is a WOODWORKING forum but here in Florida a lot of those enclosures are done in aluminum.

Ed

I know this is a WOODWORKING forum but here in Florida a lot of those enclosures are done in aluminum.

Hey Jay, I know, but I figure "carpentry and construction" can exceed the bounds of woodworking. There are after all many building materials;) Thanks for the idea of aluminum! I hadn't even been thinking in that direction

I'll keep my eyes and ears open. Have seen composite decking which can be ripped and routed, nailed or screwed. Not sure where, though. We just need the right member to read your thread.:rolleyes:
Shaz

Well, I am going to state the obvious but check with you local building supply. I can find it there and if I am not mistake at the BORG(s) too.

Trex is one brand of composite decking that I have seen. But be prepared for sticker shock.

Jeff

Ed

Sorry, I was trying to be funny, shouldn't type late at night! Maybe with my sense of humor I should start with a disclaimer "the following is meant to be a joke"

Jay

Ed

Sorry, I was trying to be funny, shouldn't type late at night! Maybe with my sense of humor I should start with a disclaimer "the following is meant to be a joke"

Jay

A new acronym...... "TFIMTBAJ" :D

here in Japan they do all of this stuff in Aluminum, as it lasts longer with the high humidity in the summers. We can get it is various colors even, white, cream, various shades of brown, and, of course, Aluminum color :D

Good luck, and remember.......... Pictures! :wave:

Jay, I assure you, no offense was taken! I actually did hesitate posting an inquiry about composites on a woodworking forum:eek: Thankfully, the powers that be included this carpentry and construction area:thumb:

Stu, just what we need...another acronym!:rofl: I can't keep up with the ones we got.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to check with some of the building supply houses. I haven't found anything at the BORGs.

FIMTBAJ
...Thankfully, the powers that be included this carpentry and construction area:thumb: ...
Sheesh! And I told them "If we have a Carpentry and Construction forum, then before you know it we'll have aluminum guys here too, and then the whole place will go to the dogs. Little wirehaired dogs, to be exact." Once again, the blonde guy was right. :rolleyes: :D :rofl: