What screw to use?

Tom Niemi

Staff member
I am looking for suggestions for what screws to use for connecting cabinets together threw the stiles? I have screws to attach them to the walls but not to connect them side to side. If it matters the doors are inset not overlay.

Thanks in advance:thumb:

When I installed mine, I used the pan heads for attaching the cabs to the wall, and standard screws countersunk for joining the the cabs to each other.

There are cabinet screws that have a raised head that accomidate a plastic cap to hide the screw head either that or just use regular screws that are long enough to not come through the other cabinet. as most of the weight of the cabinet is supported by the wall mount screws. The side screws are just there to hold the cabinets tight together.

The screws at the front are more for maintaining alignment than anything else.

I used #8 by 2½" (for 1¾: stiles) with a countersunk head on mine. The screws were black oxide coated, and blended well with the dark oak, so they didn't (IMO) require covering.

I don't know how they are called but here we tend to use trough screws with nuts that look like another screw head. They are less obtrusive and do not spoil the look of the inside.

If I haven't been able to convey the idea I'll take a pic and post it.

Cheers

Toni

Just thinking aloud here, but a regular head wood screw set in a 3/4" stile - chance of splitting? What about a pocket type screw in a counter-bore - no chance of splitting and will draw the cabinets together nicely. Just the random thoughts of someone who doesn't know any better.:twocents:

Tom,

I think I will agree with Rennie on this one. I have been thinking "Kreg pocket hole jig", all along. :thumb:

Am I thinking along the same idea Rennie? Or am I way off base? :)

Hope you get it figured out. I am following the kitchen thread closely. :thumb:

Aloha, Tony

P.S. Not to hijack your thread, but what ever happened to Bill Lantry's kitchen project? :dunno:

Tom I used 2-1/4" deck screws. I clamped the cabinets together and drilled and counter sunk using a bit that was just a bit larger than the screw so that the threads wouldn't grab the wood and then drilled a pilot hole further in that was a bit smaller than the screw. Pulls the cabinets up nice and tight and no splitting. I would also always screw from the hinge side so that yon couldn't see the screws when you opened the doors or from the inside of the drawer cabinets.:wave:

Tom, I perfer to attach them thru the case side. This will be hidden from veiw and no worries of splitting the face. I use regular wood screws. If you have the regular 1/4" over on each cabinet, then go with 1-3/4" screws.

Do not use a trim head screw... use regular head. I use a combo drive... square drive almost never strips out, but it is only "standard" in Canada, so the combo allows use with a philips head driver if necessary in the future.

MdFeeleys and CS Hardware have combo head, type 17 (self tapping) high quality screws - I usually pay around 2 cents each in 1000 lots, rather than 5-6 cents in 100 lots.

Whatever you do , don't buy Home Depot screws... they have a special feature to train you in the use of new, adult, colorful words as the shear off in the most awkward position (I have never had a square drive CS Hardware screw shear, and the only stripped heads I have had are when I am reusing a screw 4-5 times.

Star drive seems to be more popular in North Central US, and are pretty good, but I have less experience with them.