Identifying Wood: Dumb Question of the Day

My week is not complete without asking a couple of stupid questions.

Yesterday I put away a load of lumber for 2 upcoming projects. Most of it is Ash and there is a little Hickory. Unfortunately when LOML was helping me the boards got all mixed up. Now I'm having some difficulty telling apart what's what. I apologize that the lighting is different in the 2 photos. One photo is quite a bit yellower than the other, but it's just the photo.

For example, look here: The center one is obviously hickory to me, but what about the ones on either side?

hickory1.jpg

How about here? I believe the 2 on the right are Ash, what about the one on the left--it's quite a bit darker but with the same grain pattern....Ash?

ash1.jpg

Any advice is appreciated?

Cynthia

Last edited:
To me, it looks like three pieces of hickory in the first shot, and three of ash in the second. The wider spacing of the growth rings and more open grain in the ash is the basis for my guess.

See, proof again that the only dumb question is the one not asked! I think you knew when you sorted them by the way the pictures looked. This internet thing sure is neat to utilize isn't it!! Good looking lumber by the way.

Thanks Jon, separating the boards was an intuitive thing...I didn't have time to ponder it, so I just went with my gut. Yeah, not that I'm an expert or anything, but I think the wood looks great. It's better than I expected because it was just Select and Better. I bought it from Coastal Pacific Forest Products. I dealt with Iain and Peter. They treated me great, and I'll use them again. (Is it okay if I say that?) Here. And I did get bids from 3 places. They had the best price by about 15%. I feel kind of shy dealing with these typically "men-only" environments so being treated like a human goes a long way with me. :):thumb: