Little glass cabinet

Don Baer

Staff member
As part of the furnishing I am making for the church they need a cabinet to display 3 glass bottle that will contain Oil that is used for anointing for Baptisms, confirmation anointing of the sick. This is what I have so far.
attachment.php
It is Made of 5 panels the three on the front are 7"x20",6"x20" and 7" x 20". The 2 side panels are 8x20. Tomarrow I'll take the panel down to a local glass shop to have the glass cut for them and a shelf that will go inside. The cabinet is called an Ambry if anyone cares.

Attachments

• IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 133
Interesting! Are any of the panels going to be hinged? I never would have guessed the name for that type of cabinet in a million years. :lurk::lurk:

Don, I am always interested and very happy to watch the work you are doing, especially the church furniture. Don't stop posting it. To the name, would never have known it, probably won't remember it, but can see what its use is. I was surprised to hear you say only one panel hinges. I would have guessed each panel opens so the correct bottle could be taken out without moving the other bottle. A style, either behind the panel or between the panels would allow all three to independently open. Magnetic latch? Lighted?

Don, I am always interested and very happy to watch the work you are doing, especially the church furniture. Don't stop posting it. To the name, would never have known it, probably won't remember it, but can see what its use is. I was surprised to hear you say only one panel hinges. I would have guessed each panel opens so the correct bottle could be taken out without moving the other bottle. A style, either behind the panel or between the panels would allow all three to independently open. Magnetic latch? Lighted?

I figer magnetic catch

Don, I am always interested and very happy to watch the work you are doing

I post some of these projects to encourage others to post what they are working on this is after all a wood working forum and I see to few project pictures posted. I say this so that I can try to encourage others to post what they are working on. After all we can all learn from each other in this craft we have choosen.

Is this another project for the same church ?

Yes

Are you charging for this?

Yes

It looks beautiful so far.
I also like your corner clamps :thumb:

Hi Don,

Looks nice so far. Couple of questions.

How did you make the arches?
Pattern Bit and router

Did you use m&t, dowels, biscuits, or pocket screws to attached the rails and stiles?
M/T

What wood is that?
Maple

Regards,
Bill Antonacchio

answers in blue

Beautiful job Don. You need to write a book on building church furniture, you seem to be the expert in the field. ;) Are you building the furniture from standard dimensions or does the church provide the specs? Just curious. :wave:

I researched the dimension for the Altar and Ambo (lecturn) as to what was available from other suppliers. This little cabinet I made up the dimensions based of the size of the glass jars and what I felt looked right. The chairs are standards chair dimension as are the tables.