Just my luck

Stumbled across this 5 1/2. Type 13 I believe. needs some serious TLC, but all in all not too bad.

DSCN0204.jpg

Steve there is a lot of work there even for vapo rust.:D By the way the stuff works faster if you use a small wire brush to rub the rust off while in the vapo rust. It does not harm your hands so you dont need gloves. I have a dollar store plastic bowl and just go to town dunking it and scrubbing it with cheap wire brushes from the dollar store. Takes the rust off much quicker.

Whats the blade look like on that one. From the picture it seems to be bubling with rust on the edge possibly delaminating? Tote looks like it needs replacing.:D

Blade to totally used up. Yes a tote is also in order. She is in pretty rough shape. The main metal is salvageable so I hope all is not lost.

Looks mainly like surface rust - not pitting - so it oughtta clean up well.

Somebody got a lotta use out of it - or at least sharpened it a lot. :D

For casual use, though, you'd be surprised how long that last quarter inch of blade will last.

Ever tried repairing a tote? It's actually not that hard. Matching up the wood color and grain is the hardest part.

Steve, I'm not sure if you know this - early 5 1/2s have a 2 1/4" wide blade. Later ones are 2 3/8". You have to pay attention when you get a replacement. I don't remember which year or type changed.