Pen Parts Question

Drew Croy

I love the price of the slim and slimline series. As of now I probably have 60 kits laying around. I need to find comfort bands, bands only. I'm tired of the standard slimline kit and the only thing different from the comfort is that center band.

So, I come here because you guys know EVERYTHING. Who sells just the center band for the comfort pens? I've found a couple places but I dont think they are worth 86cents each. I know they must be cheaper somewhere!

Hey Drew,
As a option, toss the metal center band and use a wood one of a contrasting or blending wood. This allows you to make a fatter pen, usually the next step in turning slim-lines, with a cool band. I did a Yellowheart with a purpleheart center band a long time ago, it was a good example of contrast that can be fun:type::wave:

Wood band.

I would love to try something like that. Do you buy the wooden bands or make them? I neither know how to make them or where to buy them. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

It's stupid easy..I say that because I was able to figure so it's that easy :rofl::rofl:
If your making a slimline, cut your top blank 1/4 to 3/8 short. Cut a contrasting or whatever piece a bit longer and glue together. Now your top blank has a built-in center band! When you attach it to your mandrel, do not use the bushing for the center!!! Just use the top and bottom bushing. Tada!! If I can find some pic's, they'll pop up, but just experiment like crazy! Also buy lots of spare tubes, everyone blows through dozens of them :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Where?

I've look all over the IAP library for the wood center band article and I can't seem to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hey Drew, I'll cut and glue some in the morning w/ pics so you can see the process. I dont have any slimline pens anymore, but you'll get the idea;)

Okie Dokie Drew...here we go!

Picture 1 - you have cut your plank to size for a slimline pen :thumb:

Picture 2 - Cut off another 1/4 to 3/8" of whatever you feel like :D

Picture 3 - scrap cut to same length as trimming, glue and clamp :)

Viola! Now you are no longer limited by the metal center band included in the slimline kit. This allows your imagination to run wild :rolleyes:. Can also be done on Euro's and Americana styles...but that's up to you :eek:. Now go forth and make curlies to your hearts content :thumb::thumb:...but most of all...experiment...and post pictures!!! :D

Attachments

• blank1.jpg
    blank1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 14
  • blank2.jpg
    blank2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 15
  • blank3.jpg
    blank3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 18
OK I get it.

Thats great, now do you have any pictures of the completed project so I can see how the two parts fit together? Do you put any spin on the band part or cut it flush with the other wood? Any picture you could post of one that was done without a center band would be very helpful!

I cut it flush to the top. Sometimes I'd do a small v groove at the glue joint and wire burn it or you can roll the top and bottom of the band for a bead look. No pic's:(...it's been a very long time since I've done a slimline. CSUSA has a great dvd on pen turning...think I have both of them. Don't wait for me though...practice makes pens! :rofl::rofl: