OK it's Friday

I finally took measurements early this evening. I am going to finish drawing up my first cabinet/shelf tonight and make the first cut tomorrow. (Uh today, later, when it gets day light, It's already tomorow. :rofl:)
That should keep me busy for a while.

Don

I learned last weekend just how much work it will be to make 3" deep through mortises in hard maple (1.5"x1.5" and 1.5x3") by hand. I don't have a set of mortise chisels nor do I have a mortiser. I drilled 'em out with a forstner bit, but there really was way too much wood still left over ... took me an hour to get about a third of the way through on ONE.

I'm building my workbench base so there are 32 of these things (16 each) to cut. So ... I'm taking my parts over to a friend's place. He has a mortising machine and we'll hopefully cut them all out in time :)

Sunday is our woodworking club's Furniture SIG meeting and we're all goin over to a guy's place to see how he does mortise and floating tenons. If there's time, I may get to cut the tenons on those bench base parts. :)

Shop-wise I hope to be working on a Longworth chuck and bowl steady that I've been putting together. I'll also probably rough out a turning or three from some of the red eucalyptus piled in the back yard. If time permits I'd like to graft a dust hood on my planer.

Aside from that, I've got to finish some German product screen shots and documentation for work, get set up for a contract editing job I'll be doing soon, install this year's tax software on my computer, and reinstall
Windows XP and all the other software on a friend's virus-ridden computer. Then cook a ham, clean up chainsaw chips from the back lawn, clean the fake rock fountain, trim the 6' high fountain grass, and whatever else SWMBO can think of. ;)

I've been working on rebuilding a late 1950's Delta/Rockwell 4" jointer. It's pretty much complete (all hot tanked and sandblasted and painted etc.) and now I'm working on the knives. I'm getting chatter marks, so I've measured carefully and I know that I have the knives neither sharpened at the correct angle nor installed at "exactly" the same height, despite having been very carefull.

My mission this weekend is to learn how to sharpen and set jointer knives.

Hope y'all have as fun as I'm going to :) !!

cheers eh?

John, one of the best ways I've seen it done.........

dizzy_knifejig01.jpg

This is from a guy named "Dizzy" over at TWW, not jointer knives, but still the idea would work fine, I think.

Consistent angles for sure.

You could use sandpaper and a flat surface, if you don't have a diamond hone.

I'll be getting my pictures taken and sweating bullets I can turn four "Similar" table legs :doh:

Today I have my monthly writer's group meeting. I'll be reading a chapter from the book I'm currently working on and let the others critique it.
Today is also my wife's birthday so we will be going out to dinner tonight.
Tomorrow after church we will be going to a Cajun (mini-Mardi Gras) event in a nearby town. Wife is entering a cook-off contest. Food is always good.
Then home and vegatate in front of the telly for the evening.

Shop-wise I hope to be working on a Longworth chuck and bowl steady that I've been putting together. I'll also probably rough out a turning or three from some of the red eucalyptus piled in the back yard. If time permits I'd like to graft a dust hood on my planer.

Aside from that, I've got to finish some German product screen shots and documentation for work, get set up for a contract editing job I'll be doing soon, install this year's tax software on my computer, and reinstall
Windows XP and all the other software on a friend's virus-ridden computer. Then cook a ham, clean up chainsaw chips from the back lawn, clean the fake rock fountain, trim the 6' high fountain grass, and whatever else SWMBO can think of. ;)

Vaughn
Re Windows XP, I'm getting quite good at that. Have installed and uninstalled it at least 6 times in the last week. In the last two days I have spent 6 hours on the phone with Microsoft Techs trying to solve my problem and so far nothing. They are suppose to call again Sunday.
Guess that will keep me out of the shop a while longer.

Brian

Running the maple staircase bullnose molding through th molder, stain and finish. Sunday I'll install it, then the staircase will be DONE :thumb:
Gathering up some firewood from the back 31, do some cleaning around the outside of the shop from my roof repairs.

Not to hijack the thread, the my weekend work appears to be done!!

I downloaded and read the good Dr. Vaughans article on setting jointer knives and then I dug out a dial indicator and magnetic base and did it right. (I had been using a little magnetic jig). It works a treat now!!

For sharpening I use the Busy Bee horizontal planer knife sharpener. It was one sale last year for $165 CDN, and I just couldn't pass it up ...

cheers and thanks all for the advice

And, just for the halibut .... here it is ::

almostfinished.jpg

Very cool, John. You should start a thread in the Old Iron forum to show it to all the guys over there who might have missed it here. :thumb: