all this talk about retirement !

Never took a job that i did not enjoy doing. Dont quiet see how i would be able to do something i dont enjoy and cannot get passionate about.:eek: Life is too short to be unhappy for minimum 40 hours a week. Considering you spend most of your awake life doing it.

I started out doing my hobby as a job and it killed the hobby still liked the job. Thats why i wont ever think of woodworking as a living cause then i wont have a hobby. :)

My hobby is entirely different from what I did in my career... I enjoyed the work I did in my career, but eventually did get burned out... I'm trying to make extra money off my hobby and in that sense it's become a job, but one that I enjoy....

I do what I enjoy and get paid for it as a bonus. The job loss earlier this year turned out to be a blessing as I had gotten tired of what I was doing there and needed a slight change. I've also been lucky (or dumb?) enough to be able to try doing things that interested me, some were good, some were good learning experiences of what I didn't like.

Love my job. Been doing the same thing for 28 years. Fortunately the field has changed a bit along the way and held my interest. If I could retire this very moment, I would be out the door before I hit the submit button on this post. No sentimentality here, the field doesn't really nurture that sort of thing. There's no chance of me going idle and getting bored when I retire. I've got way too much to do.

I had a great job for one corp. for 42 years. But when I had an offer I couldn't refuse this spring--well it was time. It has been a great, admittedly different, life since I retired.

I love my job, my boss (me) is great to work for. :rofl:

Seriously, I love taking a pile of lumber and build someones dream.

The aches and pains from all the heavy lifting through the years is beginning to catch up with me though, that is the only downside.

I am in the machanic field. I like my job, just not all the paper work. I love meeting the customers. For years I could tell whos mower was in the shop, but I didn't know the customer face. Now a travel to their homes and work on their mowers there. I get to meet a lot of my customers. Most of my customers I know where they keep their unit and what days they have off or what time they will br home when scheduling their unit to be woked on. Yes Art if I won the lottery big time I probably would call it quits. That would give me more time to do voluteer work.

I dont believe its a question of loving a job so much.
I enjoyed the challenges, I enjoyed the interactions. I enjoyed the high times and lived through the low times.

For me, it was a fairly easy decision with declining health.

Work becomes a drag when you arent feeling 100%.

I believe I was approaching burnout, and I didnt want to wait till I was miserable to leave and regret all those years.

Its nice to leave on somewhat of a high note. I wasnt forced or at the point I had no choice. It was all my decision, and that made it all that much easier.

I "love" my family, my friends, and my faith but not my job. Do I enjoy my job? You betcha - even after 22 years of doing it. And, I look forward to another 20 or so good years to come.

PS - I wonder if it would surprise folks to know that I work for the government. :eek:

For 15 years I had a highly paid prestigious exec. job that I didn't like. :thud::crazy: I kept it for a variety of reasons including being a single mom raising 2 kids. Kids are grown, I got remarried, moved and don't have to work now, but I like working. Today I applied for a dream job, neither highly paid nor prestigious....but I'd love to get it....wish me luck. :)

Love is a strong word.

I look at it this way... How many people would quit their current job if they suddenly won a few million bucks? I suspect that the answer would be a surprisingly large percentage of the population.

Art the reason I use the word love which maybe should be reserved for Family God and Country, is my work is my hobby. If I were to win something like that sure it would be great but I would still like to play in what I like to do. I would not I quite I would most likely invest in.

Last edited:
I'm a problem solver, and that's what I do for work, so it appeals to me and I have to say I don't hate it. Are there other things I'd rather be doing? I'd guess so, but life doesn't always work out the way you want it to exactly.

I love working with my hands and making things, which, I suppose is related to problem solving. But my work requires I sit in a chair at a computer for many hours a day coding solutions. It's good I enjoy it, and I really enjoy it when what I do makes other peoples jobs easier.

Well I spent 33 years at my last job and nearly 26 of then in the field more or less on my own. I loved what I did but I didn't love some of the management I had, and I literally hated most of the corporate decisions that came down the last 10-12 years.

That being said I always felt there was no such thing as too young to retire only too poor. I once told a manager at review time that I worked to live, I don't live to work. That said I don't have the financial means I should have had in retirement but after a little over a year I wouldn't trade the worst day of retirement for the best day working. It wasn't ever the work I disliked if there was ever anything I disliked about the job it was being told how and when to do it.

Not a problem anymore.....:eek:

Me and the wife just came back from jumping in the RV and driving about 15 miles to a park on a couple of lakes. We ate lunch while looking out the windows then took a leisurely walk with the dog and came back home via the scenic route.

Of course this morning we took a pickup load of trash to the dump, and we have more cleanup to do but we get to do it on our "Timetable", I can't imagine wanting to "report" for work..

Last edited:
I've made a lot of bad decisions in my life, but the worse one was the decision to retire. I have never been so bored or felt as useless in my life until I retired.

I made the decision shortly after I had surgery for prostrate cancer, which left me 100 percent incontinent. I either wear a condom catheter or diapers 24 hours a day. at the time of the decision I felt lets enjoy life, lets retire and learn how to make sawdust all day. At the time I didn't realize how much I enjoyed working.

I try to stay active, always have a huge honey-do list ( I think she surfs the net for ideas), have a huge yard, try to stay active in church, and yes I make some saw dust, but I'm really bored.

I recently made an attempt to return to my field, Hospitality Management and/or consulting, even though I'm fairly well known and respected in my field I have acquired 73 negative chances of returning to the work force,(my age).

I had an interview last week with a management company that actually use a couple Excel Templates that I made and sold through advertising in several trade magazines. These are for creating budgets and statistical data for small properties that do not have large sophisticated software programs.

During the interview which was conducted by 5 very young and talented junior executives,(which have twice the amount of formal schooling than on hands management experience) they took turns reading a list of questions from a printed sheet. Some of the questions were, what was the last book you read, could you take instructions from a woman, would you feel comfortable if your immediate supervisor was considerably younger than you.

I actually felt as though I had a good chance, until the last question. I was asked "Where do you see yourself in the next 5 to 10 years" Well this is where I blew it. I thought a little and kind of chuckled and said, "At my age, I hope to see myself in the mirror when I'm shaving". They collectively looked at each other, thanked me for my time and said I would be hearing from them.

Sorry for the rambling, but hey we're suppose to be family and if I can't ramble here where else? I just wanted to make a point, if your working and really enjoy what you do, then why retire.