Facebook apology

Frank Fusco

A number of good friends here have sent me 'friend' requests on Facebook. Please understand, I belong to and use Facebook very reluctantly. Personally, I don't care to be on it at all. But, things being what they are today, some folks only communicate via FB. I have 'friended' only two people who are not family members. And, do believe, there are many family members I have not 'friended'. So, please don't think me rude I'm just trying to keep things FB-wise manageable. Y'all are still real friends, we just don't need FB to prove it.

I don't blame you Frank, I went from near 400 to less than 100. That thing can be a monster. I am also afraid that if we all would accept each other on FB, we would have no reason to come here.

I dropped out of Facebook. The inane things people posted, well, you get my drift. And I couldn't share such piddly dribbles of my life.

I'll take quality over quantity any day. It's why I post here.

I too have aFB account, strickly to look at family pictures, Was a time when they E-mailed them to us...

But my opinion on the matter is Look at what you wish and ignore the rest. And why spend time worrying about what else is on there?

Wow Frank, you really opened one up. If I may, I'd like to take the opposite side for a moment. I like FaceBook. True, a good number of the posts from individuals (especially the younger ones) are pure dribble. I just ignore those. However, there are positives. I keep in touch with 10 grand children (7 of whom I am lucky to see every few years because of distance), several family members from brothers, cousins, and even second cousins, a boatload of friends from HS that I have not seen in 40 years and will likely never see face to face again, many people I grew close to in previous jobs that I otherwise would have lost as friends, and literally dozens of businesses, vacation spots, past customers, and causes that I just like to keep up on. I intend to use it to promote my own business when the time is right.

Am I a slave to it, no. But I do check it several times a day. I like chatting with a grand child or buddy from HS once in a while. I comment on the goings on of family members, and occasionally tease a friend.

Like everything in life you need to work through the chaff. Do I care what a long lost friend in NJ had for breakfast? Heck no. Do I want to wish them well before they go in for surgery to remove a tumor, yes. There's a good side to FB. Hard to see sometimes, but it's there.

I just canceled my account. It's just one click...then they put your account on hold for like 14-16 days. As long as you don't sign in within that time it will be cancled. They just hope you sign back in and that reinstates your account. I have no need for fb.

Tom

Frank, thanks for posting this here, you summarized a good deal of my thoughts on it too. And so for those FWW member who sent me unanswered friend requests, I'm sorry, but we are friends here, and I limit my # of friends on FB.

Rennie, I'm glad it works for you.

Frank, thanks for posting this here, you summarized a good deal of my thoughts on it too. And so for those FWW member who sent me unanswered friend requests, I'm sorry, but we are friends here, and I limit my # of friends on FB.

Rennie, I'm glad it works for you.

Ken, you are one of several from here that sent me 'friend' requests I did not activate. One reason for this post is in the hopes of avoiding offending someone I did not accept as a 'friend'.

I just canceled my account. It's just one click...then they put your account on hold for like 14-16 days. As long as you don't sign in within that time it will be cancled. They just hope you sign back in and that reinstates your account. I have no need for fb.

Tom

Tom, my son and his family are currently in Australia. Soon they will be in New Zeland for a couple months, then back to Oz for another six, or so, months. They do Skype us occasionally but they prefer to use Facebook for updates and to keep in contact. I don't like it but that is the way it is. Their access to good internet connections is limited so FB presents an easy way to communicate with many people at once in a short allotment of time. It has it's uses. Not very personal, IMHO, but better than not hearing from them at all.

While I totally respect everyone's opinion about FB, I completely agree with Renne. I couldn't make it to my 20th HS reunion but felt like I was there because of all the pics, comments, etc that my classmates posted to FB. I've received 2 comissions from my FB page I put up to show my woodturning pieces. I know it's not a ton, but it's 2 more than I had before. I've have also had some great conversations via FB with world renowned turners and other craftspeople as well. :)

That said, I do "defriend" a few people each week because all they post are what they had for breakfast and other mindless dribble. If and when they email me to ask what happened, I tell them I don't care what they had for breakfast! :D

To Frank's original post, I understand completely if someone wants to limit friends on FB and take no offense at all if my request is not responded to or denied.

For me the return I get using Facebook beats out the annoyances. Using the tools they have to stop the game posts people want you to know about or even block people you wished you hadn't befriended keeps the info at a level I want.

I am in regular contact with friends and family all across the U.S. and around the world in 21 countries. It is very easy to see and share pictures and stories all in a community setting. Since many of us share the same friends the built in networking makes sharing information so much easier. In my case I have over 70 first cousins (no divorced aunts/uncles, go figure) and while I have met them all through my life there are many I likely will never see in person again.

To be so critical of what Facebook offers doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Facebook is a larger and more advanced version of this site. FWW is specialized and has a structured attitude enforced by the COC and the general type of person involved. Facebook is almost non-comparable in size and technology. Yet both provide the same basic service to its members.

Cheers,

Rennie said it perfectly. :thumb:

Jeff and Dan put up very good points too. :thumb:

I like FB, it has put me back in touch with lost classmates, friends and relatives. We just had a family reunion because of the relatives we fell out of touch with and found on facebook.

I have "defriended" some of the kids who annoyed me, and figured out how to get rid of the farmville etc. "announcements."

And I consider myself lucky that Frank "friended" me.....:D

I guess i'm a little closed minded as the only places i go on a puter is woodworking related. Now my wife has a FB account to keep up with family and old friends. And seeing as my old friends, and hers are the same i just let her tell me if anything importent is going on.:D I also don't do chats or any of that crazy stuff that some one like my sons do.:rofl:
Steve

No insult taken, Frank. Although I have some of my woodworking friends on Facebook, my primary interest in FB is to stay in touch with my non-woodworking friends and family. It has allowed me to connect with people I'd not seen or heard from in years. (And in some cases, reminded me why I stopped staying in touch with them in the first place. :rolleyes:)

Plus, without Facebook, how would the rest of the world be able to see all the embarrassing old photos of me that my friends post? :p