Good buy

Seems a bit pricy to me. Around here you can usually get a 10-12" BS for $50-100. For that price you can get a 14" rigid from Home depot or one of the new polar series from Grizzly plus shipping.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know about your part of the country, bit that does seem pricy to me. And with Shop Smith seems to me they have some unusual sizes on things that makes a little hard to replace things or upgrade them. I don't know if that applies to their bandsaws.

I have to echo the others, too much money. It is a small saw, used and, being SS, very proprietary in it's parts, sizes and such. A new Grizzly G0555 is about $450.00 before freight. That would be a much better tool and investment.
That SS is worth, IMHO, no more than about $100.00.

I have a Shopsmith bandsaw and couldn't be more pleased with it. Mine is powered by my Shopsmith and I have a newer table than what the picture of the one for sale shows and also I have the Kreg fence. I have a small shop thus the reason for having a Shopsmith instead of individual stand alone tools. The price for a new bandsaw and power stand is about twice what this individual is asking and it has a larger table. The asking price in my opinion is on the high side. Not knowing what your needs are, it is hard for me to give a recommendation either for or against. The two links below give you some information both about the bandsaw and the power station. Hope this helps you in your decision.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/bandsaw.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/sptpowerstand_2.htm

That one!??:huh::huh: oh boy...do I have a lot to learn...back to the drawing board!!:D:D I gonna re-evaluate what I'm looking for and narrow it down a bit. I should know better than to think "old is worn out" :eek:;)

That one!??:huh::huh: oh boy...do I have a lot to learn...back to the drawing board!!:D:D I gonna re-evaluate what I'm looking for and narrow it down a bit. I should know better than to think "old is worn out" :eek:;)

It'd still need to be looked at closely to check for bad bearings or other issues, but the 14" Deltas from almost any era are usually a pretty good bet. That's the saw all the other 14" cast iron bandsaws are modeled after...Jet, Grizzly, Powermatic, etc. They have a lot of cast iron, plus stock and aftermarket upgrade parts are generally easily available (including a 6" riser block to give it a 12" cutting depth). From the photos, this particular one looks to be in pretty good shape, with the factory belt guard and what looks like the original factory paint.