DW733

Ron Roase

Was thinking about putting a new bed that would be all one piece about 4ft. long,made from melamine. Do you think this would do a better job when thickness plaining,that would have less chance of snipe? I know it would throw off my gauge but only by 3/4" :dunno::D

I have something like this on my DW734 I use when planing thin stock. I don't use it instead of the stock tables and extra stock support (if required). With the stock tables adjusted high at the outer ends and physical control of the stock (controlled infeed and release at the outfeed) I get no snipe.

With a straight edge laid through the machine and resting on the outer edges of the tables, there is a gap of about 1/8" between the straight edge and the platen at the cutterhead position. This may seem excessive but at this point of adjustment, my snipe on boards 20"-plus in length, went away. Roller stands or other forms of support are required for longer stock, of course. This is just my experience, not a rule ;-)

I have something like this on my DW734 I use when planing thin stock. I don't use it instead of the stock tables and extra stock support (if required). With the stock tables adjusted high at the outer ends and physical control of the stock (controlled infeed and release at the outfeed) I get no snipe.

With a straight edge laid through the machine and resting on the outer edges of the tables, there is a gap of about 1/8" between the straight edge and the platen at the cutterhead position. This may seem excessive but at this point of adjustment, my snipe on boards 20"-plus in length, went away. Roller stands or other forms of support are required for longer stock, of course. This is just my experience, not a rule ;-)

Same here. With the out and infeed tables adjusted on my 733 and a sturdy roller stand my problems with snipe went away.
I learned how to do it in either wood magazine or woodworkers journal. But it is basically just how Glenn described.

Thanks guys,I have used the straght edge and a-lined the infeed and out feed tables, also had the knives re-sharpened. Now most all snipe has dissapeared!:D:D

The bed won't 'eliminate' all the snipe, but it will be consistent... which was my biggest gripe about those extension tables. I never knew what I was going to get. I've had melamine through my 733 for years and years now. Never have to do any waxing either.