Fried catfish

I like fish, never had catfish that I recall, would love to though.

Top of the freshwater list for me is perch, walleye, northern pike and bluegills.

Wife made some wonderful smoked whitefish dip a while ago that is great with crackers, beverage of choice while viewing sport of choice.

Catfish isn't my favorite, I prefer some of the ocean fish... Stuffed flounder or Redfish or something along that lines... the wife does a fantastic job with Talipa... but she also does good with catfish... you have to watch though some of the commercial has the belly meat in the packages and that gets a little fishy/fatty taste to me. Biggest problem with catfish is they are bottom feeders/scavenger fish so wild catfish can get pretty muddy tasting... farm raised is okay.

Now fried green tomatoes I can eat my weight... just give me a spicy sauce to dip them in... we use a spicy southwestern dressing most of the time... hush puppies need to have onions and jalapenos.... an if you throw in a mess of black eyed peas with lots of black pepper and a teaspon of sugar to bring up the flavor... I'm happy!

I could just never quite wrap my mind around eating a fish with a name that reminds me of some type of poop pastry. :laugh2:

I've got some pics stashed away somewhere of some crappie we caught in a lake in northern wisconsin that were huge. As big as a size 11 boot. Fillet them out, bread them up, fry, and my oh my that was good eatin...

now, for those of you who don't know, the first pic is your basic catfish. butt ugly, slimy, nasty. now, in the second pic, is your basic bullhead, a close, butt ugly, slimy, nasty cousin to the catfish (ugly, isn't it?). in the third pic, we have your basic, run of the mill, tasty when done right, largemouth bass. last, but not least, is the bowfin, another butt ugly, slimy, nasty critter that isn't really fit to eat, but looks like the end results of someone crossing a catfish with a bass. i should know, i was unlucky enough to catch one:eek:. i thought i had a big bass on the line:woot:, as they both have green backs, then i saw it's face and nearly lost my lunch. it had the mouth and beady lil eyes of a bullhead, and it had a skin, but no scales. ish... now, if you want to eat these critters, be my guest, but leave me out.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• catfish.jpg
    catfish.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 8
  • bullhead.jpg
    bullhead.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Largemouth-Bass.jpg
    Largemouth-Bass.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 9
  • bowfin.jpg
    bowfin.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 10
Dan, a lady I knew when I lived in the Upper Peninsula used to take bowfin and make what she called poor mans lobster, I couldn't tell it from real lobster.

It seems like she told me she would soak the meat in sugar water....then whatever else she did, along with some melted butter to dip the pieces in, it was very good.

refusing to eat crappie because of the name remains me of someone that will not eat cook rice because it resemble you know what [grubs ]