New Greenland Paddle

Jeff Horton

A few weeks ago I broke my favorite paddle. I used some questionable wood but I had paddled with it for a long time and decided it wasn't going to break. Of course that is when it did. So time to build a new one.

The local lumber yard had nothing in the way of suitable wood and I mean nothing. I scoured the shop for the cutoffs. Good Western Red Cedar (WRC) is so hard to find that I save any cutoffs from any paddles I make. I scrounged around and finally found enough to glue up a blank.I decided to add an accent strip of maple between the laminations.

Imgp7103.jpg

Imgp7107.jpg

Next I move the bandsaw and start to trim off the excess wood.

Imgp7111.jpg

Then I start shaping the blades. I use a variety of tools, starting with a scrub plane and rasp to rough out the shape.Then a block plane to refine it some.

Imgp7113.jpg

You can see the oval shape of the paddle starting to take shape.

Imgp7127.jpg

There is just a lot of sanding left at this point. Maybe a little bit of planning with the blade set for a very fine cut to even out any rough spots.

After a coat of varnish.

Imgp7133.jpg

Imgp7134.jpg

What kind of glue do you use ?

Titebond III. Most people think epoxy and it works, I just rather not use it except where it is really needed.

Do you think the maple might add some strength?

Not where it is. Probably makes the blades a little stiffer but if they break it will be at the end of the blade where it transitions to the handle. I thought about a couple of strips down the center of the shaft with a piece of something between I wanted to get this one done quickly.

Looking good Jeff. I have seen people using them and was thinking of making one when I get the kayak going. I like the maple it adds a nice touch. How is it for weight?

Depends on the wood and cedar can vary wildly between boards. Typically they are very light weight. If you laminate on up go thin on any hardwoods. They will add substantial weight.

Best advice is just build one and learn. Expect to build a second 'good' one. I still use my first one but it has lots of things I would have done different.