Working on Orders

Well got some time to turn and thought I had better get started on my Christmas orders. I have a bunch. Here are 5 ornaments of 18 done. My sister and another lady wanted just some fancy icicles that would be the bottom of my 3 piece ornaments. Neither one wanted the 3 piece ornaments just the icicles. So I figured what a great time to practice icicles (finials). Both are extremely happy with them so all is good. Icicles are Osage Orange, spalted maple, walnut, one maple with purple heart and one maple with bocote. The ornaments are 2 spalted maple, 2 cherry and 1 cedar. I have 13 snowmen that the LOML just painted so will get pictures after they dry. All are finished with rattle can lacquer. A few of the ornaments I sprayed with glidder silver and some with glidder gold I got from Michaels. Came out great.

Attachments

• Christmas Ornaments 2010 2.jpg
    Christmas Ornaments 2010 2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Icicles 2.jpg
    Icicles 2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 48
To echo Pete...hey Clone dude!!! Is that an inlay or sandwich on the round one's? Since we are so far in geography, can I imitate those? :rofl::rofl:

Looking good, Bernie. :thumb: So far I've managed to stay away from making Christmas ornaments, but if LOML sees some, I might still get dragged into it. :p

Jim, I think Bernie is using a technique previously known only to the ancient woodturning masters...

Sharpie-pens.jpg

:D

Thanks again.

Pete I figured if I don't start early before you know it I will wake up and it will be Christmas day.:rofl:

Jim I buy pens from Hobby Lobby that are double ended. One they call a spade end and the other a brush end with a fine point. They have a hugh color choice. I burn 4 lines and alternate color inbetween the lines.

Vaughn I do use sharpies in a pinch but they don't work as well as the pens.

Thanks Jonathan. Yes they are hollowed. Actually I cut them in half with very thin parting tool at a angle. I use a pencil mark so I can match the grain easier. I hollow both halves and then glue them back together. I burn 4 lines and then paint them with pens I get from Michaels. They weigh about 1 1/2 ozs. They are about 1/8" thick. I saw these being turned at a demo by my now friend Larry Hasiak.

Jim those are beautiful to look at. Are the ornaments hollow? If so, do you hollow them or cut them on a bandsaw and then glue and turn to form?

The usual way to make them is to turn the round bit, then with a tennon on either end, cut it in half, on the lathe, hollow out the inside, then do the same on the other half, but them back together with glue and then finish turn them. Burning the center line hides the glue joint.

Nice job as usual Bernie, I bet you do a good business in these! :thumb: