Question about Photos

Cynthia, some people attach the photos like I describe in the tutorial Ned pointed to, then use the Insert Image button to link to the larger pic. That's why you see the big pics inline with the text, then see a batch of thumbnails at the bottom of the post.

Here's an example, using one of Frank Fusco's hunting pics:

attachment.php

I attached the pic (you can see the thumbnail below), then clicked Preview to see the post. Next I clicked on the thumbnail in the preview, and that opened the full-sized version of the photo in another browser tab. I grabbed that URL (which is http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49928&d=1286793137) and used the Insert Image button to put the pic inline with this text.

Attachments

• Triceratops Hunt.jpg
    Triceratops Hunt.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 79
After I upload my pictures, I right click the link for each and use the "Copy Link Location" (firefox, there's a similar one for IE, dunno about mac). I then use the insert image to paste in the copied link location (as Vaughn explained). It takes a few minutes longer to do, but I think it makes a better post and it doesn't use anymore space.

The problem with using photobucket and other photo sites is that over time they change their ways of linking to photos, probably not intentionally, but as part of an upgrade or enhancement. Then all the sites that you've contributed to now have broken image links and incomplete posts. I prefer to keep my photos on FWW or the other forums I contribute to so this doesn't happen.

Darren makes a somewhat good point, hosting here for photos keeps them 'in' the forums in case the external hosting site goes down.

imho and speaking as a pro photographer the images _I_ post are 'mine', and I prefer to put them where If I choose to, I can delete them as I see fit, so I use either photobucket (for woodworking and personal stuff) or Zenfolio for my studio work. It might mean that someday my photos on any given forum might go 'poof', sorry in advance if that happens, but I still reserve the right to control my own images. If they go poof, however, I've got much bigger things to worry about than any given forum's having a busted image link.

Darren makes a somewhat good point, hosting here for photos keeps them 'in' the forums in case the external hosting site goes down.

imho and speaking as a pro photographer the images _I_ post are 'mine', and I prefer to put them where If I choose to, I can delete them as I see fit, so I use either photobucket (for woodworking and personal stuff) or Zenfolio for my studio work. It might mean that someday my photos on any given forum might go 'poof', sorry in advance if that happens, but I still reserve the right to control my own images. If they go poof, however, I've got much bigger things to worry about than any given forum's having a busted image link.

FYI if you click on User CP and look under "Miscellaneous" you will see "Attachements", if you click that, you get a listing of all of your attachments here at Family Woodworking. You can then delete them at any time if you want to.

FYI :D :wave:

Absolutely correct Stu. However, zapping the hosting account would be quicker and take a lot fewer clicks. Not that I have any plans to that end anytime in the future.

oh, and also, FWW does not claim copywrite on images posted, there are other forums (SMC....) which do... hence the 3rd party hosting. Plus this isn't my only forum.

Last edited:
FYI if you click on User CP and look under "Miscellaneous" you will see "Attachements", if you click that, you get a listing of all of your attachments here at Family Woodworking. You can then delete them at any time if you want to.

FYI :D :wave:

And I will add that I find broken links to pictures a problem if the thread is of an informative or instructive nature. I am invested in this forum and want to help maintain the integrity of the threads. By posting the pics here, the threads remain intact as long as the forum is operating. As Stu stated, we are all free to delete our pictures at any time if we were to have an issue about ownership. It would help to take the time to go to the threads that used to reference any deleted pictures and add a note explaining that they are gone to reduce the 'baffled' effect on future viewers. :thumb:

And I will add that I find broken links to pictures a problem if the thread is of an informative or instructive nature. I am invested in this forum and want to help maintain the integrity of the threads. By posting the pics here, the threads remain intact as long as the forum is operating. As Stu stated, we are all free to delete our pictures at any time if we were to have an issue about ownership. It would help to take the time to go to the threads that used to reference any deleted pictures and add a note explaining that they are gone to reduce the 'baffled' effect on future viewers. :thumb:

Naturally, and that's why hosting here is preferable from the forum's viewpoint. I figure what I've shared here is here for the duration, until/if I ever close down my hosting sites.

Another factor in using the external hosts is the size limit. It's easier to upload on many of the external hosting sites, so a lot of members prefer that and just link in. We've got an 800 x 800 150kb max size, which some find limiting so they use an external host.

Again it's not required to upload here, just want to make sure those that are posting using external sites know how it affects the forum content if those sites change or the links behind retrieving them change. ;)

Cynthia, I hope we answered your questions and then some. :wave:

Last edited:
...oh, and also, FWW does not claim copywrite on images posted...

Very true. But we do claim copyright on cool user names and pithy signature lines. :rofl:

Seriously, I post pics both ways...some are uploaded attachments that live on the forum servers, and others are linked images that are sitting on one of my own websites. The method I use usually depends on if I want the thumbnails in the post or if I want the larger pics. I completely empathize with you Ned on the issues of ownership of images, though.

I guess I should also add that NONE of my pictures is worthy of anyone else claiming rights to. That makes me pretty loose on the subject. You guys out there that can really take some pictures that make a person stop and pay attention should feel protective of them. I've seen some class work on this site, The only reason my pics turn out halfway viewable is because I bought a camera with built-in skills to make up for my absence thereof ;-))