Had a Family Visit

Stuart Ablett

I was once again visited by Peter Rideout today.

Peter comes to Japan once or twice a year, and usually makes the time to stop in for a visit while he is in Japan.

peter_stu_oct_2010a.jpg peter_stu_oct_2010b.jpg

This time he brought me some birds-eye Maple from his neighbor's firewood pile (seriously, you are killing me!)
birdseye_maple_peter1.jpg birdseye_maple_peter2.jpg birdseye_maple_peter3.jpg

We had a good chat, and I made sure Peter did not leave empty handed, I gave him a pen I made from a very special piece of Olive wood that Toni sent me from Spain in June of 2008.
PA101630.JPG

I know it took a while for me to use that wood Toni, and I have some left still, it sure is beautiful wood and works very nice too, as well as having a pleasant smell.

I sure do enjoy these visits, if any of you are ever in Tokyo, I would love it if you would stop by!

Cheers!

Fantastic. Score on the firewood salvage and a great parting gift too. Thanks for sharing. I love being part of and hearing about our visits. Its great to see how other people do things and how they differ from our own methods. I always seem to come away with something I will integrate into how I do something or a jig I might build or and arrangement change to my layout. Always a blast.

Well, it sure was a nice way to spend a couple of hours and I'm glad it worked out. I sat in the shop chair (watching carefully and taking mental notes!) and we traded stories while Stu put an edge you wouldn't believe on one of his plane blades. The very clever jig for turning the little offset guest trays was one I'll have to put in the "If I Ever Get a Proper Lathe" file.

Thanks again for the hospitality Stu, and the beautiful pen! (thanks to you too Tony! Stu sure made a great use of your wood) What an amazing little world-wide community this forum is.

All the best,:wave:
Peter

PS. He's lookin' good guys. A mere shadow of his former self, so the "program" is sure working!

This time he brought me some birds-eye Maple from his neighbor's firewood pile (seriously, you are killing me!)

Stu,

This summer I took my family out to Halifax to visit in-laws. I thought Ontario had lots of trees. You should see the thick forest covering New Brunswick, and large chunks of Nova Scotia.

I was stunned multiple times.

...art

I know it took a while for me to use that wood Toni, and I have some left still, it sure is beautiful wood and works very nice too, as well as having a pleasant smell.

Cheers!

I was wondering what happened to it Stu;), now I see that you gave it a good use:thumb: and I'm glad that Peter got it.

FamilyWW visits are always welcome aren't they?.

Hey Peter...who's that semi-skinny guy standing next to you? :huh: Your hard work is paying off, Stu. ;)

Good to see you two got a chance to meet up. Peter is one of the few people to be lucky enough to tour the Dungeon. :thumb:

There have been a few visitors over the years, but aside from Alex, who lives in Japan, Peter is by far the most frequent, I sure like having him come to visit :thumb: