Last Phase Hollowing Rig

Dan Mosley

Today i fiinished up the little things and tried the rig out on a much larger pc of olive wood. I took off the safety stops and wired up the laser to test it out (5 volt laser from Laser Land). The log is 15" long and 12 1/2" wide.
I drilled a deep hole with a old bit I had by welding in a pc of drill rod (see picture #1).
I hollowed as usual by hand for awhile and then setup the rig as shown in the pictures below (pictures 2-5) . It cut great until i got about 2/3 of the way into it and then it started acting very jerky. I tried raising up the tool rest but it didn't seem to work and then tried rotating the cutting tip down slightly - didn;t help either... I had to reposition the cutter several times due to the jerking tork that the tool was getting.
What im wondering is if I should have made the cutting tips so they just solidly mount into the 3/4" round bars instead of the adjustable one ive been using (picture 6). Like taking the bar steel and putting a 45' hole in it with a set screw to hold the cutter and I could do the same for a straight tool...........thoughts ??
Anybody have any other ideas ????

thanks Dan

Attachments

• Drill-Bit.jpg
    Drill-Bit.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Sunday-1.jpg
    Sunday-1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 55
  • Sunday-2.jpg
    Sunday-2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Sunday-3.jpg
    Sunday-3.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 49
  • Sunday-4.jpg
    Sunday-4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Tip-1.jpg
    Tip-1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 45
I'd make at least one more tool holder for it, drill at a 45 and make that holder straight, no goose neck, make it thicker steel even if you can get some. Mine are, IIRC, about 20mm in diameter which is just over 3/4" and I have not had a problem with them.

:wave:

Looks like it works good, Dan. Ditto on the previous advise about bigger boring bars and the need (or lack thereof) for the bigger bars to be goose necked.