getting back to turning

Frank Fusco

As most of you know, I am nursing an operated on left shoulder for a very serious rotator cuff muscle tear. Can't do much with the left arm but wondering when I'll be able to get back to turning. The left hand really isn't stressed while turning but I'm concerned about kicks and such. Staying away for a while, maybe up to six weeks. :( Not sure, we'll see.

Take it easy Frank no need to push things and re injuring yourself again. I had the knee surgery in June and returned to work 4 weeks following ( shouldn't have but did) It agrivated it big time and extended the healing time now I am laid off again and taking things slow. Turned down a good job last week due to the type of work not being good on the knee.

Do what the Doctors say. In about a month it will start feeling really good and you will be temped to go 100%. Don't do it. My pt people gave me holy heck when I told them what I was doing with my right arm and gave me eye opening insite as to how lucky I was not to mess it up again.

I was supposed to have my left shoulder done but I will never have another shoulder surgery. I will live with the pain.
Just before they wheeled me into the operating room a Doctor who couldn't speak a word of English gave me a shot of something in my neck. It was supposed to relax my shoulder and get me ready for the anesthesia. The nurse said that I may feel slight tightening in my chest. Whatever he jammed into me started to paralyze my chest and I couldn't breathe. They told me not to worry about it. After I woke up from the surgery the nurse said that they had to ventilate me because of the medication the moron gave me. My chest muscles were paralyzed.
I was scared to death. Just before they put me under. I knew that I wasn't going to wake up.
I heard that the Doctor was reprimanded and is no longer associated with that hospital.
So no more shoulder surgery for me ever again.

Ah, the "moron" hit the wrong nerve. I have had that shot all three times. Only once it worked. This last time was a total miss. The nerve block is your choice, or should be. If done correct, no pain or nothing for about 36 hours. Well worth it, if done correct.

I'll echo the others...no need to rush back into things, Frank. You may be surprised how much your left hand and arm work with turning. At least for me, my left side is usually working harder to keep the tool firmly on the rest than my right side does steering it.

I agree with the others. My wife has had 3 and has refused the 4th. Her first (2003) didn't hold for 6 weeks. The second repaired the first, and the 3rd was on the other shoulder. Now the second needs repair and the docs don't thing it's a good idea. She says she KNOWS it's not a good idea. She can't lift a can of soup from the bottom shelf of the wall cabinet--she works around it.

It's not fun. I do have a lot of respect for athletes who are back playing in a year or less--don't know how the pitchers do it.

All of this make me feel better???:huh::dunno: I get my right shoulder carved on at 2 p.m. today. Overnite stay at the hospital, so I'll be back tomorrow. Stay tuned for another opinion.:lurk:

I've not had any surgery on the shoulders, nor ever planning to, but some days it hurts to put a shirt on. Frank, while not always, most of the time doctors know a bit about what they are talking about.. pay attention and give yourself time to heal.... you know we aren't as young and resilient now as we were at 20 or 25....:D:D:D:D

Frank be wize and listen to the doc. You will get back faster in the long run. Had emergency back surgery two years ago and the hardest part of the whole thing was setting around for three months not doing anything. But doctors orders. It payed off and in the long run worth the wait. Use your time here exposing every little secret you know about turning....

Frank sit back and relax. You don't want to do anything that will cause complications. Then take twice as long to get back in the shop. My brother had the same operation after a bought trying to doctor a cow. About 5 weeks he thought he was completely healed. I can't remember what he picked up or what he did for sure but he ended up back in the hospital opening it back up for repair of the repair. Good time to catch up on your reading Frank.:rofl:

Let it heal.

Simple exercises

Thanks. I'm sure I will. But, I do have a fear of the whole body going soft, especially at my age. I believe in 'use it or lose it'.

Frank, I'm a paramedic, been in the field for almost 16 years now and I have seen normally healthy people lose use of their extremities from letting them sit so you do have a valid point. It happens but you can prevent it.

My advice to you is to talk to your doctor about daily exercises you can do to keep the old limbs limber. Your doc will probably refer you to a physical therapist and there is nothing wrong with asking about wood turning and simple exercises you can do to make sure those muscles don't atrophy.

Good luck to you and remember don't over-do anything. The body has a natural way of healing and it's best you let that happen slowly.

Frank, I'm a paramedic, been in the field for almost 16 years now and I have seen normally healthy people lose use of their extremities from letting them sit so you do have a valid point. It happens but you can prevent it.

My advice to you is to talk to your doctor about daily exercises you can do to keep the old limbs limber. Your doc will probably refer you to a physical therapist and there is nothing wrong with asking about wood turning and simple exercises you can do to make sure those muscles don't atrophy.

Good luck to you and remember don't over-do anything. The body has a natural way of healing and it's best you let that happen slowly.

My follow-up is on the 21st and I plan to ask just that question. I won't allow myself to get too flabby. In about one hour I will be doing house to house political campaigning, lot of walking, some wrestling and fighting ;) . Our house is on a hillside, just walking around is good aerobics and I go up and down our inside stairs many times a day. Is lifting a coffee cup good exercise?

After my first shoulder surgery, I complained to the doc about the 15 lbs I put on. He couldn't understand it. I couldn't get it through his head how hard it was going to be to get it back off. After this round I may have found my new size.