It's time for a Shed Thread -Time to get the roof on

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
For having a place in the middle of nowhere, it's quite surprising at my lack of outbuildings. Well it's high time I corrected that issue...

So it's time I built a shed. And now before you get started, I know what you are thinking.

"Doesn't Brent already have enough incomplete projects that this really makes no sense?"

My responses is that this project, when complete, will allow me to clear the junk out of the shop that doesn't belong there that takes up room my woodworking hobby should be using. It'll be a space to store all those car parts for the 46 chevy, the hunting equipment, the boating stuff...

So really, this is the first step I need to take in order to get all the clutter out of the way so I can get the shop organized and function and so that I can complete my other projects.

So started today by getting some supplies, picking a spot and starting to layout where I'll put the shed. Looks like I have some dirt moving to do. Theres a bit of a slope from the back to the front, so it's time to break out the pick axe and then use the grader box on my little tractor to level things off. You should have seen this patch of dirt a week ago, it was way worse. There was a huge pile of dirt in the middle....

Tomorrow afternoon I hope to get the dirt leveled and ready, and the form and rebar in place.

Saturday I'll get some more concrete and rent a mixer and hopefully be able to get the slab poured.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• shed_001.jpg
    shed_001.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 501
  • shed_002.jpg
    shed_002.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Well, I thought you would be handing out diet tips.... ;) :D

Well, It sure promises to provide an opportunity for lots of exercise. Just moved 3200 pounds of concrete mix from the bed of the truck.

I do find that the more I exercise my shoulder, the better it feels....

Brent, your countryside looks seriously desolate. Are there ANY trees?:huh:

Heres a different view. Haven't really counted, but theres probably 40-50 scattered around the house.

But it is a desert, after all :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• trees.jpg
    trees.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 274
The shed itself will be 10'x12'. This is the 120sqft max since I don't really want to go through the hassle of submitting building plans, getting permits, getting it inspected, yadda yadda yadda. It's just a storage shed after all.

There will be an overhang to provide a 'porch', with additional storage up top...

Working on the plans in sketchup. Will post those later.

So here's a pic of what I'm building. I modified it a bit (added 2' to the length) as the plans for the one I found is only a 10x10. I wanted a 10x12, so I drew it up in sketchup.

Mine will not be quite so grandiose, But I liked the basic idea of the porch, and the storage in the attic.

Mine will have simple siding to match our house. I'll still do the column details out front, but not quite as large. They look a little out of proportion to my eye.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• shed_004.jpg
    shed_004.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 267
  • shed_003.jpg
    shed_003.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 266
Sounds familiar to me, the need of building a thing, to be able to build another thing that will allow me to build the thing I want to built.:D

No kidding Brent, I've been there, done the same, got the t-shirt.;)