Glass and Planes Gloat

Rob, my Canadian friend, made a comment :D in another "glass" thread about he wasn't sure why I would need glass for sharpening hand tools.....so I thought it was my duty to show him why I do need glass.

First, today, LOML (the Glassman) and I went to the Habitat for Humanity store in my town (don't know about your town) where they have all kinds of used furniture/building materials, and sometimes brand new stuff donated by different building material companies. We go by there all the time...

So Glassman spied out this nice piece of 1/2" used glass with beveled edges for $4. He told me that if I bought it new from a glass shop, I should expect at least $50.
:D
And then here is why I need the glass.

glassoct1410.jpg

plane1oct1410.jpg

plane3oct1410.jpg

plane2oct1410.jpg

plane3uprightoct1410.jpg

plane4oct1410.jpg

3planesoct1410.jpg

I'm not sure in what order these photos will appear, but basically there are 3 new (old) planes, + one I found a while ago, 2 photos of the same one and one photo of 3 lying down, and one photo of the new (old) glass.

The first 2 are Stanley I think, and the big one which has 2 photos is Hellstedt. Please note that I stood them up for the photo without the blade touching anything but otherwise I keep them *lying down*, and the 4th plane which is currently in pieces was photographed standing up a couple of months ago when I didn't know any better.

I was hesitant to post these photos earlier because I thought some readers might get bored with seeing me acquire a lot of tools for an *empty* shop. LOML found these in a box we opened while unpacking. Not sure where they came from...an old boyfriend or husband I guess.... :rofl: :rofl: .... but they appear to be in perfect condition (for their age). They were carefully wrapped in cloth and wool socks and are coated with some kind of ...oil? And razor sharp.

So here are the 3 new-to-me ones, + I've got the one that LOML gave me that's still in pieces in a bag, but unrusted. :) I posted a photo of that one a while ago.

One more thing: Glassman said I could use granite just as well and it's less fragile. He said in his experience, machinists use granite to "indicate vises etc." whatever that means. He said he'll get a "machinist surface plate" for about the same price, and it would be less fragile.

:) :) :wave:

Rob!!?? Are you there????

Great starter set, Cynthia. :thumb:

Let me check my block planes...I think I have a 220 with the tote on it. If I do, I could make a copy of it for your 220 if you'd like. I've got some small pieces of Michigan chocolate that could be made into a tote. (You'd still need to find a suitable screw. Jim Delaney might be able to steer you towards one.)

Let me check my block planes...I think I have a 220 with the tote on it. If I do, I could make a copy of it for your 220 if you'd like. I've got some small pieces of Michigan chocolate that could be made into a tote. (You'd still need to find a suitable screw. Jim Delaney might be able to steer you towards one.)

Thanks Vaughn, that's wonderful....I think.... :) .....can you tell me that in little words? You're saying the little one needs a tote? And it's a 220? So you'll teach me how to make a tote? and give me a pattern for it?

The knob at the front of your little Stanley 220 block plane is missing. Here's a pic showing what it originally had...

ST220PLNIB.jpg

(And was wrong calling it a tote earlier. I just did a bit of memory refreshing...that part is called the knob. The tote is the handgrip handle on the rear of the larger planes...also sometimes referred to as the handle, if you can believe that. Your little 220 doesn't have a tote, only a knob.)

I'd be glad to teach you to make one, but it'd be hard without you standing at my lathe to do it. :p But I can probably make you one in not much more time that it'll take me to box it up and drive it to the Post Office (a mile or so away). ;)

And as a pre-emptive definition, a till in this usage is a drawer, tray, cabinet, or chest made for storing hand planes. You'll also hear the term saw till, which is the same idea for hand saws.

That 220 looks like the stub for the knob (not tote - the tote is the rear 'handle' on a bench plane) is itself coarsely threaded. If that's the case, then the knob will be threaded, too. Generally, the threads are very shallow. The hole in the knob is just a few thou under the thread diameter.

I'll look around. I may even have an extra in the loose parts bin(s).

:wave:Hi Cynthia, what a :cool: gloat.:D:thumb:

Dang you were lucky with the glass, i got a early morning taxi shift to do with my son:) and will stop by our Habitat restore it and check out what they have.

As for the planes well now you a gonner. Thats it tell "Glassman" oh boy hes got a new name poor guy, that he best resign himself to watching the various packages arrive through Brown or Fedex or Can post.

Ok remember the discussion on the jointer and longevity of the hobby, well inmho, you are now no longer a temporary furniture maker you a woodworker. Ok done you in for life. Now you need the big one, a real Bench and vice. When you have one you will wonder how you ever got on without one.

If the lady that works with Chris Schwarz over at popular woodworking magazine can build one so can you. I can send you my $175 plan i used that Chris designed and you can make it easily from some better wood than i did thats available on your coast.

Any movement on the jointer?????? and i dont mean the one on the shelf.:D

Great haul of planes. Jim Larry Steve the fever has bitten someone else around here.:rofl: