Camping what tai chi tent do you use?

Rob Keeble

A little gloat and teasing for some giggles.;)

Ok time to show you North Americans what a real tent looks like. Enough of this taichi junk i see around here.:rofl::rofl:

Here is a tent.

tent bag.jpg This is the bag the dome folds into.

tent front right.jpg There are two parts that can be used as one whole tent like you see here or a dome on its own.

tent from rear right.jpg Rear picture

tent rear shot left.jpg

tent side down.jpg The front extension we call a kitchen tent and it has side flaps that can be put up with other poles and then there is a netting that is also on the front door and the dome to prevent mossies.

tent side up.jpg This is how we use it mostly.

So the bottom of the dome has a rubberized canvas material that comes up the side about i guess 8 inches. It can just about float. We have been in a storm where we watched from the dome door how everything else in the park floated by while we sat dry in our sleeping bags. As for rain this thing laughs at the heaviest storms. the canvas material is impregnated with some sort of what i can only describe as vulcanised paint. It dont leak and we can stand up when we change.:D

For the record this was not made in China, rather South Africa. Cost around $600 US when i bought it. Today its around $1350 for a tent like this. But it will last a lifetime. This one is around 14 years old and we used it frequently. Dont have it pegged down thats a whole other setup when you see the pegs.

Now Frank you showed us your flag. I think its a little on the small side.

Here is my US flag, i have a Canadian one too. But seeing as how Frank had his antique I thought i would show him mine. Tape measure shot to give you an idea of size. Need a real flagpole to mount this. Imagine what NN would say if i put a decent flagpole up in my back yard. :rofl:

US Flag1.jpg

US flag size.JPG Just for you Frank ;):D:thumb: i should have lived in Texas. Larry this missed your visit by days.:)

Last edited:
That's not a tent, it's a small house. :p

Here's my tent...I've had it since high school. 2-man Eureka Timberline:

415SAR3KP1L.jpg

My tent is in the "earthquake kit" on our back porch. I'd love to have a big tent like yours Rob, but LOML is most definitely not the camping type, so the likelihood of me needing a tent is pretty slim these days. (Much to my chagrin. I love camping, but don't have any friends in CA that I'm interested in camping with.)

Speaking of transport

Oh Glenn when it comes to carrying take a look at my transportation method.

Trailer.jpg

We look like a desert caravan when we arrive. You need to see what goes into this little box.:D

OK Jim I surrender, you win.:D:thumb::thumb:

Back in my band days, we had a US flag that was about 50 feet long. (Some friend of the band had...um...liberated it from a truck stop in town.) We attached it to the ceiling of our rehearsal warehouse for acoustic dampening.

My next door neighbor in Cali was a 'collector' of WWII stuff. One day he called me over and wanted to show me something UPS had just delivered.

He pulled it out of the box and had me help 'unfurl' the largest Nazi flag I've ever seen. Probably 3/4 of the size of Jims flag. Talk about uncomfortable. Our neighborhood was pretty diverse and I really wasn't comfortable standing there with the biggest swastika I've ever seen in my hands :eek: :eek:

But the Serge was a rather 'unique' individual.

Our camping involves my f350 Diesel Dually, a rather large fiberglass camper. I do take along a 3'x5' American flag that I can mount on top of the camper. Just something festive about flying a flag when camping... :thumb:

Vaughn,
your tent is what my scout troop used when I was a teenager. My dad was our scoutmaster and we bought half a dozen of those from the Eureka factory outlet near Binghamton NY. Lots of fond crazy memories with those old tents.

Here's a full-timer's HDT and 5th wheel trailer for sale, even comes complete with a Smart Car and a montana LLC.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=87053&view=findpost&p=399953

for the truly curious, go check out the webshots photo album and see the three vehicles...(not my photos, so I can't link to them, but they're worth a look see)

oh, the price? $130,000

yeah. I would SO love that combo, but of course I can't afford it.

That's what I call Camping with Style!

I was born into and my family lived in a few houses around east Texas when Dad was share cropping that were just one step above a tent... not really into camping.

My first wife's idea of roughing it was a motel with only black and white TV...

Found a partial pic of the giant flag we had in our band warehouse...

Trumbull Warehouse 1982.jpg

Doesn't show the entire flag, but it gives some idea of the scale of it. Believe it or not, we put a lot of effort into hanging it without letting it touch the ground. We may have been no-good long-haired hippie musicians, but we still had respect. ;)

you call that comfortable rob? catch a peep at this. warm, dry in the morning, unlike some tents where everything has a coating of damp. not one bit stuffy, thanks to natural airflow. you can stand up and change in this one too. the best part of all, is that you can have a real fire in this one, and stay nice and warm on those chilly nights. it's 14 ft from the door to the lifting pole in back, about 12 ft wide, and roughly 16 ft at the tie point at the top.

Attachments

• tipi 1.jpg
    tipi 1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 22
  • tipi 2.jpg
    tipi 2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 22
Vaughn are you in that picture with the huge flag?

Dan I can tell you i have wanted to try out one of those for a long long time. Oh man my bucket list is so long i need two lifetimes.:rofl: Yu gotta feel sorry for my wife.:D