How to fit a door to a frame that isn't square.

yea, I read that when I got the magazine. It way to complicated and is gonna take way to long. I make all my doors 1/8" over in all dimensions and trim them to fit. I'll trim the width first and hold it in at an angle touching the sides with the hinges and make two marks equal distance from the top and use a crosscut sled with shims to cut to these marks, then lightly joint this top to remove the saw marks. Then hold the bottom in at an anlge and make marks equal distance from the bottom, cut to the marks by shiming on ts crosscut sled. Then if the door is to tall or the reveal isnt enough, take passes on the jointer which will keep any scribe and remove will remove an even amount from the edge, just be carefull of any end grain and your door should fit with a perfect reveal :thumb:

Nov issue of Popular woodworking has an interesting Article on how to fit a door to a frame when the frame isn't square using a sharp stick. Here a Link to a free video as to how it's done.

My approach would be quite different... First find out WHY the frame is askew. then fix that. Followed by squaring the frame and then fitting the door to a square frame. Reason being.... What ever caused the frame to be out of square, will continue... over time the problem will re-occur. Fix the cause, stop the problem.

My approach would be quite different... First find out WHY the frame is askew. then fix that. Followed by squaring the frame and then fitting the door to a square frame. Reason being.... What ever caused the frame to be out of square, will continue... over time the problem will re-occur. Fix the cause, stop the problem.

I didn't watch the video....

for inset doors, when I'm fitting them I usually just make the doors a bit oversized and then mark the tight corners. Take off more on that side of the edge on the edge sander and call it good.

The truth of the matter is that while it isn't impossible to make a perfectly square door, or a perfectly square opening, it just isn't worth the time it takes to do it. Something will ALWAYS be a bit out of whack, even if it is just a small amount. Even a barely measurable amount measuring corner to corner can make a big difference visually.

thanks don it was interesting but everybody does what works for them. I think it could be used more to fit larger doors or countertops that you only want to move once.