One for Rob & Mohammad

Chas Jones

Just so you get to see more of the rotten wood.

It's 4-3/8" h x 3-1/2" d.

Attachments

• DSCN2174.JPG
    DSCN2174.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN2175.JPG
    DSCN2175.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 42
Very nice, Chas. The beading really frames the spalted part nicely. Did you start with a glued-up blank, or just happen to find a piece of beech with perfect boundaries between the good and rotten parts? :D

Here You Go Vaughn

Only difference now is I reverse mount item to remove chucking socket.

Example is using thin CA, I also use thicker versions, judgement call on wood porosity really and how quick I want to proceed.

Larger items I use Casamite not CA, timescale goes up though as I leave each section overnight to cure.
With mounting care you can do that at the end of each day for next ring so that lathe is free to play.

Used to Use PVA, bonding good but joints can creep.

Thanks for the pics, Chas. I was thinking you had glued up flat lumber, but your process lets you use odd pieces that are not already milled. :thumb:

I've run into the PVA creep issues you mentioned, but on flatwork like cutting boards. I like using plastic resin glue (like DAP Weldwood), but haven't used any on turned work. It's a bit of a hassle since it's a powder that's mixed with water, but it would be easy to make up small batches for things like this.

.... I like using plastic resin glue (like DAP Weldwood), but haven't used any on turned work. It's a bit of a hassle since it's a powder that's mixed with water, but it would be easy to make up small batches for things like this.
Likewise Casamite, but I've got a feel for mixing it in multiples of 1 or 1/2 teaspoon amounts for the different regular builds. Wife keeps me supplied with small plastic containers (50-100ml) intercepted between the kitchen and the recycle bin, so no cleanup problems. Coffee Bar stirrer spatulas somehow also find there way into the shop for application and spreading.

Likewise Casamite, but I've got a feel for mixing it in multiples of 1 or 1/2 teaspoon amounts for the different regular builds. Wife keeps me supplied with small plastic containers (50-100ml) intercepted between the kitchen and the recycle bin, so no cleanup problems. Coffee Bar stirrer spatulas somehow also find there way into the shop for application and spreading.

Ah, I should have Googled Casamite before my last post. :doh:Sounds like it's very similar to Weldwood.

My wife saves little one-ounce plastic cups and short plastic paddle stirrers*. They are great for mixing small batches of glue, or mixing dye and DNA before putting it in the spray gun.

* I'd tell you where she gets the cups and stirrers, but she'd kill me if I let people know that she bleaches her arms. :D

:saythat:

...My wife saves little one-ounce plastic cups and short plastic paddle stirrers*. They are great for mixing small batches of glue, or mixing dye and DNA before putting it in the spray gun...

Vaughn,
Is there a "Smart & Final" store near you? They have numerous different sizes of small disposable plastic cups (intended for restaurant use) that are great for mixing dyes, stains, glues, etc. I use a lot of the 1, 2, & 3 ounce sizes. A hundred-pack sleeve of them costs around four bucks.

If you need to accurately measure small quantities, Lee Valley has some really nice little one ounce (30cml) graduated 'dosage' cups, too. They're a bit more expensive than the 'Smart & Final' stuf, but do come in very handy.

Smart & Final isn't here in Ohio, but we do have a similar company called "GFS." I imagine most areas of the country have something similar.

Thanks for the pics, Chas. I was thinking you had glued up flat lumber, but your process lets you use odd pieces that are not already milled. :thumb:

I've run into the PVA creep issues you mentioned, but on flatwork like cutting boards. I like using plastic resin glue (like DAP Weldwood), but haven't used any on turned work. It's a bit of a hassle since it's a powder that's mixed with water, but it would be easy to make up small batches for things like this.

I use the Dap Weldwood in boat building, but it is a dark brown when mixed. Wouldn't that show up in the joints when used in turning?