It don't pay to pick on old ladies

Many years ago I was lecturing in Boston. When I was walking down the sidewalk to my hotel the light changed for walk. An old man with a white cane crosses the street. However, he was not all of the way across when the light changed color. At that point he was in front of a stopped bus. He was about 4 feet from the front bumper. The bus driver laid on the air horn.

There was another occurance beside the hotel. This street was narrow. It had a row of parked cars at the curb on the right side and only one lane (one way) for traffic next to the cars.

This very elegant lady in her lincoln convertable...first let me describe it. The car was a pale cream with an auburn top. The ladies clothes were the color of the car. She was wearing a fir cape that matched the car. Her hair was the same color as the top of the car. She was wearing a bazilion dollars worth of diamonds. I was about ten feet from the incident.

Anyway she stops to back up and parallel park. The car behind her laid on the horn (typical of Boston, at least in that era). The lady moved her left hand over, pushed the down window button and when the window was all of the way down she put out her arm (like the old right turn arm signal before we had blinkers) and gave him the finger.

It was absolutely beautiful.

If you like old man stories I can tell you how "Have a nice day" started during my lecture.

Enjoy,

Jim