Howdy from NM

michael james

:wave: Bought the HF lathe last winter thinking I'd turn a few pens for something to do... Well, as many of you know.... one thing leads to another, and since I live in the SW I thought pottery forms would be fun to make.
I've been "hanging out" with new turnning friends at another forum, and when I went to send your very own Vaughn McM. some compliments on his gallery of work at another site.... and it seems that I live within a couple of blocks of his family - and we ran around with some of the same people at different times.
He suggested I "come on down", so I'll behave! Im here for the party; have nothing to prove to anyone except myself; teachable, and willing to learn from all of you, and share whatever I may know that might be helpful to you. I have some prior experience with furniture, and countertops but the lathe is new to me.
I have a mini monster hollowing system, a Nova G3 chuck on order (+1) and will assist santa's helpers in bringing a Delta 46-460 down the chimney. As you can see, my shop is the garage. Lil missie says anything I can fit in is ok, but the car has to go back in at the end of the night, or weekend. Hence the small lathe.
Also, I do belong to the NM Woodturners, and realize that I can learn more in person that all the DVDs in the world.
Oh yeah...Im totally addicted to turning and Im shunning the cure....if there is one! :eek:

Attachments

• garage_r.jpg
    garage_r.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Welcome to the Family Michael. Can see you hung around with Vaughn just from your Avatar:rofl: Ok now spill the beans on all the things you guys got up to that Vaughn has not already told us.:D:thumb:

Hope you enjoy your stay.:)

Ok now spill the beans on all the things you guys got up to that Vaughn has not already told us.:D:thumb:

Hope you enjoy your stay.:)

Thanks Rob, looks like a fun place with some serious talent!

I'm afraid if he does his homework, he'll have the goods on me - I ain't sayin nuthin!:cool:

Hello and welcome to the family Micheal. Based on your avatar, pretty skinny dude aren'tcha!?! Careful with hanging with that there Vaughn feller, he is known to get lost in that circular twist of a lathe and come out with unbelievable stuff.

Welcome Michael! I've got the same HF lathe, for the little turning that I do it's been great. However I needed to turn a longer piece, I found on Amazon a bed extension for it, nice to know if you need to go longer and not want to buy another lathe, here's a LINK to the thread I posted about it.

Here it is on Amazon Lathe Bed Extension

It was only about $55 with shipping.

Dan

Last edited:
Hey Michael, good to see you found your way in. :wave: (Musta been one of the other Admins who approved your registration...I know I sure wouldn't have let you in quite so easy.) :p Sounds like you've got a good Christmas already lined up. :thumb:

For the rest of you, here's a bit more of the "small world" backstory...turns out Michael has been friends for years with a guy who was one of my most influential guitar teachers, and he knows a lot of the same Albuquerque music crowd that I do. We started comparing notes, and it wouldn't surprise me too much if we've actually run into each other somewhere in the past. (Probably at 7-11 buying microwave burritos or eating cinnamon rolls at the Frontier Restaurant...at 3:00 AM.)

Thanx!

:highfive: What a nice place and a great bunch of "folks":thumb:
I admit I'm envious as heck with all the beautiful wood some of you have access to. But I hope to get it all figured out here in my neck of the rio grande. Im plying my dentist's office mgr with some really nice pens for her and her honey, who's a state park ranger....but you know the type, rather chase 4 leggeds than hang with 2 leggeds ...slooooooooooooooooooooooow process.

I have a couple of pieces that I have started and will post what ever makes it to the finish line. I end up making a lot of pens for friends and coworkers, but I don't take pics of them. I think the challenge has worn off, so again, I want to do/learn hollow forms.
I'll be lurking, and wandering....It will take me a while to read ALL the posts!
Thanks again,
mj

Welcome to the Family, Michael, wonderful to have you. Lots of interesting woodworkers here of all skill levels.

Love the avatar. Sounds like there are a bunch of musicians in this woodworking bunch. I also play guitar and piano, and my husband plays Bluegrass banjo.

Delighted to meet you. Greetings from British Columbia. :guitar: :bliss: :welcome:

Cynthia

hey mike, yu mentioned that yu have done some flat work got any pictures of that? we flat folk like to see what the spinny folk have done in the good ole days:)