Last Lathe You'll Ever Need

Never mind...it's in the current print issue, but I found it on the website. (Viewable by web subscription only, but here's the link for those who subscribe.)

Last lathe? Not for me...I like the big stuff too much. The 12" swing would be a limiting factor for me. But for a lot of folks, any one of those lathes could keep them happy for the rest of their lives. Personally, out of this group I'd be most interested in the Delta, since it has lots of horsepower and is reversible. The Penn State looks good on paper, but I'd be a bit cautious buying it due to their past reputation for having fit and finish problems. Jet has a great reputation and legions of loyal followers, but I'd want reverse and a 1 hp motor. (I also like the wider belt on the Delta compared to the Jet.)

Of course, they left out perhaps the best midi lathe available:

http://www.oneway.ca/lathes/1224lathe.htm

But it's in a whole other ballpark, both in price and in quality. ;)

Yeah, the Sweet 16 is indeed sweet. :thumb: This particular article was centered on 12" benchtop midi lathes (with a 14" General included in the group).

I suspect my "last lathe ever" would be something like the Robust American Beauty, or perhaps the Serious SL2542. The Serious lathe has two marks against it...no sliding headstock and no remote control panel. I only use the sliding headstock on my lathe occasionally, but when I need it, it's great to have it. And I'm hooked on having the controls (at least the on-off button) mounted somewhere near my right hand instead of on the headstock. I'd also like to check out a Stubby in person one of these days. Their owners are very loyal, but I've also heard some folks say they had used one and didn't really like it.

Yeah, the Sweet 16 is indeed sweet. :thumb: This particular article was centered on 12" benchtop midi lathes (with a 14" General included in the group).

I suspect my "last lathe ever" would be something like the Robust American Beauty, or perhaps the Serious SL2542. The Serious lathe has two marks against it...no sliding headstock and no remote control panel. I only use the sliding headstock on my lathe occasionally, but when I need it, it's great to have it. And I'm hooked on having the controls (at least the on-off button) mounted somewhere near my right hand instead of on the headstock. I'd also like to check out a Stubby in person one of these days. Their owners are very loyal, but I've also heard some folks say they had used one and didn't really like it.

at 1500 lbs the Serious SL2542 will need a strong floor and a numbers of outridders to install it---I wonder if this lathe could be use for a metal lathe

Of course, they left out perhaps the best midi lathe available:

http://www.oneway.ca/lathes/1224lathe.htm

But it's in a whole other ballpark, both in price and in quality. ;)
Would anyone mind if I do a small "gloat" here!
attachment.php

The day after it was installed and the day before it started turning pens!

The 24" extension came with it. I've just never got around to installing it yet!

If I were going for a 12" swing and money wasn't a issue it would be the Oneway 1224 but since money does talk or well the Banker (LOML) talks I would definitely look at the Delta like Vaughn said for the 1 hp and reverse.

Believe me, I am not a pro woodturner. However, I really like my Delta 1 hp. I had another Delta (well I still have it) before this one and it worked very well. However, it had four speeds---not variable and I got the hots for variable and purchased the new unit. Of course I found out how to make the first Delta variable speed AFTER I purchased the new one. Dang you Murphy!!!

Anyone want to purchase a, like new, Delta with a 14.5 inch swing. It comes apart in the middle, like a midi with an extension bed. The extension fits so well that I owned it for weeks before I noticed that it had one.

Someone needs to buy it from me or Glenn is going to inherit two lathes when I kick off. He keeps trying to be a flat-lander so I am afraid inheriting two lathes might give him a heart attack.

Enjoy,

Jim

Have not seen the article but will put my vote in US$ on the Delta 46-460.
I have thought about going cheaper with the PSI, but a couple of trusted tool makers/turners strongly advised me to stick with the Delta.
If I need a bigger lathe for a project I'll find a local Wturner to let me use his.

I reject the premise that "One" lathe is enough :D

How many you planning on stashing down in the dungeon???:dunno::huh:
I agree though, have a JET mini that does it all unless turning long spindles, table legs or lamps, then I use the Craftsman (don't recommend this lathe), then I have a Menards lathe I bought at a yard sale for ten bucks and am going to convert it or my buffing mandrel so it is a permanent buffing station (don't recommend this lathe either). The Delta is what I have been looking at as one of my students brought his in the shop and used it for a semester, the variable speed and reverse for sanding was SWEEEEEEET!!!

Last edited: