New Old Car

After considerable prodding and coaxing on my part, my newly retired LOML realized a lifelong dream today and bought a '56 Chevy. I don't know much about cars, but his dad used to teach auto mechanics and he grew up taking apart and putting back together cars. I'm really happy for him. It's all he can talk about now.
aloof-and-bored016.gif

56chevy.jpg

And I'm seeing some new tools in my future this holiday season.
evilgrin0045.gif

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhh! Reminds me of my '55 back in the day... Gave it up for pregnancy... Herself (with my help) produced a fine son so the favorite vehicle had to go... Times were tough in the late 60s.

Had a 55 and a 57 while in High school. The 55 was a 6 cylinder with three on the tree.. Wish I had either one of em now. Also had a 50 ford with a 52 merc flathead engine, couldn't keep clutches in it. And the infamous 50(I think) packard hearse. My mom made me get rid of it, she didn't like it parked in front of the house.

Very nice ride, customized, nonstock paint and wheels for a start, but it certainly looks well done!

My mom's cousin, I guess my second cousin, has a really nice version.....

55_chev6.jpg

That is my dad, my two girls in me in front of his 55. He bought one just like his dad bought new, even the four door. We got a nice ride in it, the girls could not believe that there was so much space and that there were no seat belts :eek: :D

Very nice cars for sure!

Lady, I hope you get a ton of new tools. Lets see that 56 is worth how many thousand dollars. The way I see it you are getting a whole new shop.

Enjoy it,

Jim

celebrate009.gif

hahhahahhhaha well I don't want to be greeeedy but the list of things that I'd love to see come down the chimney will be a little longer than usual.

2lbkos0.gif

I really am happy for him. He deserves it.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of my long term project car and it's original owner.

Sharon's dad bought it brand new in 1946, right after the war ended.

For years it sat in the driveway and one New Years day, Sharon and I pulled it out of the driveway and have been dragging it along with us ever since.

Sharon's mom was so happy to see it gone. Sharon's dad threatened to call the cops :rofl:

When I got it, the engine was in the trunk :huh: and the interior was home to a number of local cats. I've since got the body dipped, stripped, and primed, got an engine in it, redid all of the running gear. All thats left really is the outside cosmetic stuff.

But that seems to be taking a very long time to get to. It's amazing how long it takes to do things if you never touch them...:D

attachment.php

Attachments

• chevy.jpg
    chevy.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 47
Wow Brent--what a project. That will be really cool when it's done. :thumb:

OK, I'm giving him permission NOT to work on it until the dining room table is done :rofl::rofl::rofl:

When my mom started jumping for joy at the thought of it being gone from her backyard, I had a funny feeling in my gut and knew something was awry. :(:(

If times weren't so tentative, I'd just have my NIL finish it up.