New Old Car

Cynthia,
That's a pretty nice piece of iron... my mother and her husband had a '56 in '63... my first car was a '59 Impala that I picked up in Chandler, AZ back when I got off the bus on my way back to SF/Treasure Island. I stopped to visit on my way back from my brother's funeral and Mom was all enthused about the car... Loved that ol Impala... it had a 348 engine, with a Herscht conversion from auto on the column to a 3 speed on the floor... they didn't change the rear end, so it was slow off the line and I bet I rolled backwards at stop signs on about every hill in SF.... It had about a 4 inch rake on the rear end and at about 85 or 90 mph the rear end would lift and float around... (not that I ever drove that fast.....)

The hills in SF are very interesting to drive in a manual trans of any vintage!

My friend has a 63 impala. He likes to boast its a car you can see from space! :rofl:

I used to restore old Porsches. The problem with restoring any old car is that when you finish what you have is an old car. There's been so many improvements in automobiles, in ride, safety, gas efficiency, and so much more. I enjoyed the work, but was always disappointed with the finished product - noisy, inefficient, poor ride, lack of engine power, and no modern usability features inside.

Mike

Seriously, I think Allen needs to do a woodworkers motivational speaking tour to get some of our lazy buts in gear.... :thumb: