Ok here is a stripping ? pics added

Chuck Thoits

I have a few shutters to refinish. They are around 200 years old and have the paint to prove it.
The owner wants them all painted up like new and I feel they only way to go about this is by stripping off all the old paint. Then fixing the bad spots and repainting.
So what say the wise ones of stripping? Whats going to be the best way to get them back to bare wood?

Last edited:
Chuck,
Any stripper that contains methylene chloride. I use a product called "Dads Easy Spray" it comes in either qt or gallon cans and has a spray bottle with it. You simply spray it on let it lift the old paint off and then rinse the residue with with either water or MS. Be sure and wear heavy gloves and don't get it on your skin. It may take a couple of applications because of the age depending on how thick the paint is. I by mine at true value hardware.

Chuck,
Any stripper that contains methylene chloride. I use a product called "Dads Easy Spray" it comes in either qt or gallon cans and has a spray bottle with it. You simply spray it on let it lift the old paint off and then rinse the residue with with either water or MS. Be sure and wear heavy gloves and don't get it on your skin. It may take a couple of applications because of the age depending on how thick the paint is. I by mine at true value hardware.

Just the man I was hopping to answer.:thumb::rofl::rofl:
Would it be better to pressure wash them or just rinse?

I had to strip paint off porch ballusters I had pulled off, maybe 20 yrs ago now. I found a propane torch the quickest way to remove the paint, then sand , prime and top coat. Not sure if it's a safe way, with old lead paint.:huh:

Ok got some stuff that you paint on and leave until it has released all the layers. it starts off by saying 2 to 4 hours for up to so many layers of paint. And could take up to 3 or 4 days if you have 14 or more layers.:doh:
20 bucks a quart and a quart does 2 shutters both sides. Glad I'm only doing 26 shutters instead of all 45 that he has.

Last edited:
For your viewing pleasure
The stuff smeared on the shutters. I scrapped a few places to see what was going on after like 4 hours. This is where it's at green.
Pic 2 the shutters.
Pic 3 the stuff.

Attachments

• tn_norm and mug 010.JPG
    tn_norm and mug 010.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 156
  • tn_norm and mug 011.JPG
    tn_norm and mug 011.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 147
  • tn_norm and mug 013.JPG
    tn_norm and mug 013.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
For paint on surfaces like shutters I would use the semi paste. The brand I use is easy strip(blue can) sold by BORG. One other thing you can do to speed up the stripping is to cover up the stripper with a thick plastic to keep it from drying up. I like useing chunks of old tarps. If have enough to strip and can find a container to hold the shutters, you can stack them up and use the liquid type and let them soak for a few hours then rinse them off.

Ok so that stuff strips paint. But I don't have the lab conditions they do to get the results they clam.
First pic is one app.
Second pic is 2

Attachments

• tn_paint 001.JPG
    tn_paint 001.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 65
  • tn_paint 002.JPG
    tn_paint 002.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Re: Methylene chloride

Chuck,

Add to the above: Be sure to work in a well ventilated area and/or use a respirator specifically designed for methylene chloride.

Chuck, I never heard of that stuff so I can't comment, does it contain Methelyne Chloride ?

The stuff I recommended woulda done a better job then that.

Here you go

Amazon.Com said:
"BACK TO NATURE" MULTI STRIP REMOVER Multi strip remover. Easy water clean-up. Requires no neutralization. A unique environmentally safe. Remove up to 15 layers of paint & varnish. Contains no methylene chloride or caustic. It is biodegradable, non-flammable, odor free. Multi-strip works on interior & exterior surfaces. Removes most paints & varnishes, oil or water- based. Also can remove more difficult coatings such a 2 part epoxy & urethanes.

Don no one around here carries the dads stuff. But I did get them to order me in a case today. I will have it Monday or Tuesday so I'll see how it works next week.
So your saying I can just spray it on and hoes it off no scrapping?

Don what do you think about spraying it on and putting them in a trash bag for the night? Kinda the same thing Al said just letting it sit longer.