DIY Ornamental Lathe - Rose Engine

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Our local woodworking guild sent out a link to the site below, which has plans for building your own Rose Engine using MDF.

tn_jon-magill-rose-engine.jpg

Thought it was an interesting machine, may have to give it a "whirl" when I have time. The plans and instructions as well as some videos are at the bottom of the page under "Make Your Own Rose Engine".

http://www.ornamentalturners.org/index.php

Some examples:
main.php

I downloaded those plans several years ago and still haven't gotten up the nerve to try to build one. I think it would be a very fun and challenging project for sure. Not to mention the great things you could do with it.

They look like very cool machines, and I like the results people can get with them. But for me, I like the free-form nature of freehand cutting on a lathe. One of the things that really appeals to me about the lathe (or at least the lathe stuff I tend to do) is that there is very little (if any) measurement or math involved. Ornamental turning, on the other hand, needs to be planned and precise. Heck, if I wanted planned and precise, I'd make furniture. :p

I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of your ornamental lathe though, Darren. :D

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for help. I use to have the plans for this rose engine lathe. I kept it for years. A someday project. Today I was thinking about what I would like to be my next project if and when I finish my current attempt at an organ build. I know if I finish the organ and it works I will have the confidence to tackle building one of these rose engine lathes. But last big problem I had with my computer, I guess the plans was one of the files I lost. Anyone know where I could get them again, with out having to join another forum?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for help. I use to have the plans for this rose engine lathe. I kept it for years. A someday project. Today I was thinking about what I would like to be my next project if and when I finish my current attempt at an organ build. I know if I finish the organ and it works I will have the confidence to tackle building one of these rose engine lathes. But last big problem I had with my computer, I guess the plans was one of the files I lost. Anyone know where I could get them again, with out having to join another forum?

Was it this one Paul http://ornamentalroseengine.com/rre/

A plethora of plans! A friend of mine had some kegerator tap handles done for her BF for christmas by someone she knows local (in cook-underwood area) who has a rose engine of some sort. They were pretty cool, made out of blackwood and looked like some sort of spikey sea creature. Apparently he's had the engine for ~20+ years, a visit is definitely on the list!

Thanks for the help guys and sorry I troubled you. Ken I bookmarked the site you gave just in case.

Looking through the drawings reminded me why I was holding on to the plans, it has some metal parts that need to be built. Another reminder that I really want a metal lathe. Been trying to talk my BIL into getting one so I could use it. But he is not cooperating!

Last edited:
Paul no need to apologize when you dig up an old thread. Heck i learnt something i had no clue existed today. Another piece of woodworking education. Would never have happened if it were not for you going into this thread.

Personally having seen this now its not my cup of tea. Heck i would sooner learn to carve properly with real carving tools and be able to do more than just a decorative "rose"

And i think Darrens point to Vaughn about doing it on the cnc makes perfect sense if one wants production of roses all identical. :D

Good points Rob, but to carve, you need talent. Like painting. I seen to lack it. Now a CNC, love to have one but alas, I lack talent and, ah, lots of m-o-n-e-y! :D

I didn't take the comments as being sarcastic, just an opinion. Jonathan, thanks for the site, another bookmark for my rose engine file.

Got to finish the organ first and yes, wife, finish the basement!:(

Last edited:
Paul , Jon Magill is the creator of the mdf rose engine lathe. He sells a kit that contains all the metal parts for $300.00.

Send him an email jon@magill.com

This is a project that has been on my list for a very long time also. Good luck

Mike