Haircut stories

"You look so handsome, with your hair cut ," was my sweet Mother's way of suggesting my hair had become long and rebellious and should be lopped off. Of course I look like my Dad and she married him in the short haired 40's, that may have something to do with her prejudiced attitude.
I'm very peaceful in spirit, but got drafted, trained infantry, went to Vietnam with my m-60 machine gun and after life changing events got back to Fort Hood to await my departure date. Time arrived, mind you I am 25 years old, college degree, combat experience which I did not want, couldn't shoot a rabbit earlier in life because I liked them more alive.
I am packed ready to leave the army. In to get my discharge papers signed by the captain, then on my way.:D
"Get you hair cut and then I'll sign your discharge" he said with what I thought was a cocky grin. Taken aback, way back, anger filled me, "why" I asked myself? I got it cut, he signed my dd214 and most of me went on my way,except for that little bit I left in the office. Not some knuckle skin, but rather the realization it was the "power" not the "people" that really matter.
I get my hair cut now when I want, and not before.
Shaz
Let's hear your sorry story:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
hmm, my short experience in the Army was. some officers just had to wave their power over enlisted personal. As for haircuts, If I let my hair grow it would make your look straight :rofl:

I tend to just have the wife take the dog clippers to it every couple months. When I was kid it was always short, that was what dad wanted and dad always got what he wanted. Well till I was 15 or so and I went through a stage where I let it grow.

Shaz......I was 18.....A few months earlier my drinking habits had upset my parents and I moved out and got an apartment with another 18 year old. We worked hard and partied hard. Then just a few weeks before my 19th birthday and my forth coming invitation for a draft physical...my maternal grandmother died. This was in '68 and I'd grown long hair, sideburns and some hair above my uppper lip. I'm hesitant to call it a mustache as I've never been able to grow a good one. When we arrived in southern Indiana for Grandma's funeral my Dad gave me a choice .....shave and get a haircut or he'd do it for me. I'd witnessed my Dad's phyisical prowess with his fists on the floor of a couple oil rigs and knew there was no logical reason to argue with him. I cut my hair and shaved. A month later I passed the draft physical much to everybody's surprise. I quickly enlisted in the Navy for 6 years and got the training I wanted. When I left for bootcamp I saved the Navy some time by getting a "burr" haircut.

I like barbershops - real barbershops, stylists not so much. I've had haircuts in a lot of different places, but the one that always put a grin on my face was in Ankara, Turkey.

The barbershop was on the ground floor of the building our rented apartment was in. One barber and one helper. No English spoken and not much more than "Yes" or "No" in my Turkish vocab.

I keep my hair very short - it's strictly a clipper job most places, but the Turkish barber used only scissors. Well, almost. My hair was cut with meticulous care - sweet mint tea was brought by the smiling helper. Then on to the shave. Hot towel first and a straight razor yielded by an expert hand.

The crowning touch was something I've never seen or heard of elsewhere. He would pick up a little swab, dip it in alcohol, light it, then shielding the side of my head with his free hand, he proceeded to singe the hair in my ears!

An odd sensation and the signal that the haircut was finished. 10,000,000 lira to the barber and 3,000,000 to the helper and it was smiles all around. Always left there with a spring in my step :D

Like you like it.

Much like both you and Ken I am Vietnam era. I later went on to be quite successful in business. Married a beautician for about 7 years. Figure each "free" hair cut and style (of all kinds) only cost me about $30,000 each. Keep your hair like you like it Shaz. Doesn't change the person.

Chuck

When I grew up my mother always cut my hair. She would just put on the ole butch attachment and give me a buzz. One day I was either 11 or 12 She was merily cutting away when I felt the cliper touch my scalp and heard my mother say opps. Well it turn out the butch clip fell off mid stroke. I looked at the back of my head in the mirror and said "Thats it I won't get my hair cut again till I can go to a barber shop." And I didn't either.

"You look so handsome, with your hair cut ," was my sweet Mother's way of suggesting my hair had become long and rebellious and should be lopped off. Of course I look like my Dad and she married him in the short haired 40's, that may have something to do with her prejudiced attitude.
I'm very peaceful in spirit, but got drafted, trained infantry, went to Vietnam with my m-60 machine gun and after life changing events got back to Fort Hood to await my departure date. Time arrived, mind you I am 25 years old, college degree, combat experience which I did not want, couldn't shoot a rabbit earlier in life because I liked them more alive.
I am packed ready to leave the army. In to get my discharge papers signed by the captain, then on my way.:D
"Get you hair cut and then I'll sign your discharge" he said with what I thought was a cocky grin. Taken aback, way back, anger filled me, "why" I asked myself? I got it cut, he signed my dd214 and most of me went on my way,except for that little bit I left in the office. Not some knuckle skin, but rather the realization it was the "power" not the "people" that really matter.
I get my hair cut now when I want, and not before.
Shaz
Let's hear your sorry story:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gee to bad you couldn't have whipped out a pair of scissors & cut 1 hair & handed it to him. Telling there I cut my hair. Hair being singular meaning 1. I just love the english language. I know we say hair cut & not hairs cut but I always think this is kinda funny.:eek: :) You know Ray Stevens said "don't get a hair cut out of town".

Last edited:
Hmm, not sure mine is so interesting. When in college I let the back of my hair grow to what at that time was called a fag tail, a real thin section in the middle back that grew long. At the same time I got an ear ring, in my left ear if that matters:D . Since my occupation requires people who conform to societal expectations, I had a difficult time in my first job interview. In the first interview the guy interviewing me kept staring at my hair and my ear ring, no offer. The next interview I decided the smart thing to do was to hide the hair and put a bandaid over the over the hole in my ear, no offer. Then I wised up and cut the hair, my mom was elated. Nowadays I don't have enough hair to worry about letting it get long and the ear ring isn't "different" anymore, too common place.

Another Vietnam-era vet here, complete with requisite buzz-cut during basic and never again. However, given that I now keep my hair in either one large, or five small braids, and the fact that it's about to my knees when it's unbraided, I feel exempted from this entire conversation. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

- Marty -

Young lad was 16, had an ear ring and long locks, used a friends car to take his drivers license exam and passed to everyones amazement. He asked dad if he could use the car, "Loose the ear ring and get a haircut", dad told him. So the ear ring came out, but the long locks stayed, again he asked dad to use the car, "Get a haircut " came back the answer. So he decided to play it smart and wait till Sunday after church. "Dad, can I use the Car?" "Get a haircut!" was the reply. Plan "B", "But Dad, Jesus had long hair!" "And he walked everywhere!" was Dad's reply.

Young lad was 16, had an ear ring and long locks, used a friends car to take his drivers license exam and passed to everyones amazement. He asked dad if he could use the car, "Loose the ear ring and get a haircut", dad told him. So the ear ring came out, but the long locks stayed, again he asked dad to use the car, "Get a haircut " came back the answer. So he decided to play it smart and wait till Sunday after church. "Dad, can I use the Car?" "Get a haircut!" was the reply. Plan "B", "But Dad, Jesus had long hair!" "And he walked everywhere!" was Dad's reply.

That's a classic! :clap:

I went through the long hair thing, had it down to mh shoulder in the grungy 70's, then had an almost mohawk in the late 80's and all other sorts of stuff in the 90's.

I remember one of my dad's friends asking him if he cared about what I did with my hair, my dad said "Why, it will grow back......" As he did not make a big deal about it, I soon outgrew that stage.

Now I keep is clipped short, but not a buzz cut, I like it that way, less work, less bother, and like I said, I can do the clipping myself and not have to pay :thumb:

One day I wanted my wife to trim the very back, my neck line straight, she was in a hurry to so somewhere or something, and she was not really listening, she thought I wanted her to clip the back, so she took the clippers and when straight up the back of my head..... the clippers where on the "Skin" setting, which shaves the hair down to the skin :eek:

I walked around with a large 1 1/2" strip of skin showing at the back of my head for a while, wore a lot of hats :D

No I do it all myself, less chance of error! :wave:

3" part, no ponytail, cut whenever i feel like it, usually not much.....but it doesn`t grow much anymore:eek: beard is another story:eek: ...

I'm a product of the 50's, had a flat-top always (wonder how many here even know what a flat-top is?) until mid-60's. Then our town had a historical anniversary festival. I grew long hair and a mustache for the event. After that wife wouldn't let me go back to the flat-top but the mustache got gone for good. At age 68 I still have a full head of hair that needs combing and almost envy the bald guys. More important stuff in life than messing with hair.

I'm a product of the 50's, had a flat-top always (wonder how many here even know what a flat-top is?) until mid-60's.

Perhaps the most infamous flat-top of all time, H.R. Haldeman - Nixon's Chief of Staff.

Gave the flat-top a bad name IMO. When I started wearing my buzz cut in the 90's I asked my barber if I could pull off a flat-top - he told me my hair was to fine to stand up like that :(

Attachments

• haldeman4.JPG
    haldeman4.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 4
Growing up my dad used to cut my hair, and I hated every minute of it. He would sit us up on his Craftsman TS for 45 min. It was torture - probably as much for him as for us.

Can't understand why I took up woodworking after spending all those uncomfortable hours on the TS! :rofl:

Now I visit the barber shop (NOT stylist) every three weeks....regardless.
Rennie on snowmobile cropped.JPG
At 55 I'm very happy to have all my hair:eek: . Even if it's slowly changing color.