Shaker style doors

Jim Hager

I just finished this set of 45 shaker style doors and thought I'd share the results. I also have done the drawer fronts for this job as usual. This is the first set of shaker style I have done and even got to purchase a brand new set of style/rail cutters to do the job. Most of my customers around here are stuck on one style of doors and these were somewhat refreshing rather than do the same style same way again. Each door has 7 parts rather than the normal five so it sorta slowed me down until I got my rythm right.

Attachments

• WinterSpring 07 011.jpg
    WinterSpring 07 011.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 87
  • WinterSpring 07 012.jpg
    WinterSpring 07 012.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 48
  • WinterSpring 07 013.jpg
    WinterSpring 07 013.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 55
Looks good as usual Jim. I'm in the other boat, I had made a set of kitchen cabinets and doors using the double shaker style last spring. I am currently doing another kitchen and she wants double shaker doors...and the one after this one....yep another set of shaker door. I think it's going to be refreshing to do something different.

What kind of shaper cutters are you using for those doors?

[size=+1]Jim,
Just curious - why did you need a new rail & stile set (other than the fact that you just wanted one)? I've made all my 'Shaker' doors on the table saw, just using a dado blade.[/size]

The cutters are from infinitytools.com they have just in the last couple of months put that set out for sale. I've got mostly infinity cutters with some exceptions but I've bought a lot of their stuff over the last few years. Great company to do business with too.

[size=+1]Jim,
Just curious - why did you need a new rail & stile set (other than the fact that you just wanted one)? I've made all my 'Shaker' doors on the table saw, just using a dado blade.[/size]

Well Jim, I could have done the same thing but could not have gotten done with all 45 doors this weekend. The set, just like the bead or ogee set, is made to use in production. The cutters machine the parts faster and with much more precision than is possible on a table saw. These cutters also have a 15 degree bevel cut on the inside of the door rather than a 90 degree square.

Jim D, one thing I found that I love about using the shaper on a similar project was it was so simple to change from tongue to groove cutters. The shaper stayed set up and I simple changed the cutters out. Nothing to adjust.

When I have done frame and panel on the table saw there was always a lot more fussing with the set up to get it right. Then inevitably I would need one more piece for what ever reason and I would have to set the saw back up to run one part. The shaper can stay set up and it's just a matter of changing cutters. Even if I have to rest it I find it much quicker than using the TS.

I just got my shaper up and running but I am sold on it for this type of work.

Jim H. Love those doors. We used a similar style of panel throughout our house in the cabinets, doors and the furniture I am making.

Jeff