Farm photos

Love the pics Jonathan... Reminds me of the time I 'helped' a girlfriends dad round up some rodeo bulls he had. Imagine if you will a square mile of ground, with nothing but bulls in it. Starts off easy, but as you start getting the herd compressed, things get progressively more interesting, up until the point one of the bulls charged my horse... Fun times ensued getting that bull back into the herd...

Never rode a bull, but her dad did do me a 'favor' and let me ride his big ole Roan horse... :rofl: :rofl:

Let's just say he liked his horses to be a little high spirited for and that might have been a little much for a city boy like me... But I only got bucked off once! :thumb:

It is more common in breeds that are very high strung (limousin, charloais) and with the males being virgin bulls, if they get on an adrenalin high right before being slaughtered, it will cause the meat to darken (no one has said if it is released blood in the meat)...

Thanks Jon. I suspected it was something along those lines. I had been told similar reasons for wanting a clean, quick kill when hunting big game. It makes sense.

Never rode a bull, but her dad did do me a 'favor' and let me ride his big ole Roan horse... :rofl: :rofl:

Let's just say he liked his horses to be a little high spirited for and that might have been a little much for a city boy like me... But I only got bucked off once! :thumb:

Hey it might have not been cause of being from the city. When in Oklahoma in '77, I was in excellent shape and had my best sense of balance. Rode some top notch cutting horses and they would just spin right out from under me when turning back to get back on a calf!! Nothing more than more horse than rider!! :eek::eek::doh: Quite the humbling experience for me, could ride some rough stock yet couldn't ride high quality trained stock! :eek::(:dunno:

I rode the Mechanical Bull a Gillies once. Had the bruesses on insides of my thieghs to prove it.

A mechanical bull can be a worse ride than a real bull. Rode them in bull riding school and no where else. They are a great training aid, but on a real bull watching down his front shoulders there will be a milli second of telegraphing his next move. Best thing about the mechanical bull, it doesn't chase you once you are off! :thumb::thumb:

I agree Steve.

I just had a beef cow slaughtered (14 months) and ran it with the sheep to kind of protect them from coyotes. That part worked, but his free-ranging, coupled with his grass-fed-only diet made for a funky tasting meat. I can eat it, but my parents won't have anything to do with it.

So now I got 400 pounds of meat in my freezer and just me to eat it. At my 2 pounds of meat consumption per week, I should have it cleaned up sometime in the year 2014!! (LOL)

On my next one, I think I will pen the guy up, feed him lots of corn silage and slaughter him at 6 months of age just to keep the quality up.