Dovetail jig for large panels

Bob Gibson

Anyone have any suggestions for a jig or tool that will allow me to cut dovetails on large panels ???

I'm really looking for a jig. I'm not ready to ruin a bunch of cherry practicing making hand cut ones. I know, I know, I really need to learn and the satisfaction of making hand cut dovetails will be an epiphany but I really dont have the talent or patience.:(

LOML is annoyed that I'm making tons of stuff for the lids and ignoring her. She is looking for a fairly large blanket chest with drawers on the bottom. So the panels I need to cut the through dovetails on will probably be 18-20" wide.

I have the prazi jig, you can probably pick up one used from someone for a decent price. New it was 119 or 129.
You can cut a board as wide as you want, but only through dovetails.

You might want to consider the Stots dovetail template master. http://www.stots.com/video.htm

It's a little different from the others, since you use the template to make your jig, and consequently can make it as wide as you like; the second video is the one that mentions dovetailing wide boards. You have some options for spacing as well.

It costs $42 without the bits. The entire detailed manual is on the website, so you can see what you'd be getting into.

It looks interesting, but I have not tried it.

Are your panels going to be solid boards or glue ups? If glue ups you could do the dovetails in 2 pieces then glue up. You would have to be careful on layout and alignment through out the process that way but could be done:)

Some pretty cool jigs!!

They are going to be through dovetails so the Prazi jig looks promising. I'll check CL and Ebay.

The panels are going to be glued up. Maybe I'll test my rockler jig on pine and see how well I can get them aligned after I glue it up.