Need a little help, magnet

Anybody have some rare earth magnets? I need to know if they will pick up steel when passing through 1/4 tempered board. If so what size you used.

Got another wild idea I need to work out in my head. I really need 2 hands:(

Where is a good supplier for these creatures?

Where did you hear that? On the farm we aoften fed cattle Rare earth Magnet Pills to clear metal out of their guts. the pass the magnet along with any nails, screws, fence, wire etc, they digest.

Where did you hear that? On the farm we aoften fed cattle Rare earth Magnet Pills to clear metal out of their guts. the pass the magnet along with any nails, screws, fence, wire etc, they digest.

magnets will gather steel nails, ect but some nails are not steel ----having two magnets attach to each other thru the gut wall will block any thing except liquid from passing

You also run the risk of perforation and internal bleeding.

One magnet - not a great big deal.
Two magnets - call 911.

I'd say what my wife dies for a living, but I don't like giving out personal information anymore. Let's just say she's seen the carnage first-hand.

Well thanks for the info and education. The "invisible red dot" has given me my answer. 3/8 by 1/4 will work for my application. Don't worry, when done they will be glued in place and secured.

Yep, we have done the cow magnet thing also. Works like a charm.

I use these magnets for many things. One that Glenn gets a kick out of is tool holding. I have magnets with thin rubber glued to one side, the other side bare. The bare side sticks to the fililng cabinet, the wood lathe, the drill press, the whatever.

The thin layer of rubber reduces the attraction factor a bit on one side. Therefore, when I pull the chuck key, the key comes my way. The bare side of the magnet has nothing between it and the metal of the drill press for example, so the magnet stays on the press.

There is always a pencil under the table, there is always a pointy thing on the outside of the belt housing to clean bits or whatever, and the chuck key is up there also. The tools are handy and always in the same place.

The wood lathe has its magnets and tools...rods to hold the headstock and tighten or loosen chucks, etc. I use the magnets to hold my dust collection ducting in the flow of the chips (I do the same on the bandsaw, Drillpress and tablesaw).

I use a lot of them. I use 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 most frequently. I used a couple 1/4 x 1/4 cylinders in the lathe steady rest I just designed. The magnets align the hold-down block so I can tighten the steady rest to the lathe without having to put my hand under the ways. I can reach down and reposition the hold-down with one finger when I wish to remove the SR.

Before I was trying to keep the hold-down in position with one hand while I tightened with the other. Holding the piece is not comfortable at best and almost impossible when you are in the wrong relationship with parts of the casting, feet or motor. Those two little ole' magnets solve the problem.

Enjoy,

Jim