Fish Tank Stand

Ron Roase

My grandson wanted a stand to hold two fish tanks,a 30 gallon one on the bottom and a 55 gallon one on the top. It was to fit between two door ways.
I made a rough sketch (not Sketch up..but it works for me.) I started out by ripping seven 2x4s so as to get sone nice square edges that measure 1 1/2X3"
After cutting all the pieces to length, I cut all the half laps in the legs and the rails. After a dry fit I assembled all the parts with glue and screws. Then put together front,back and the two ends. Making sure everything was square. Again with glue and screws. This time I set the screws 3/8 down and put wood plugs over them. Added the filler pieces for the bottom tank. Did a finall sanding and now it is all reddy for Grandson to stain and clear coat. It will be his early Christmas gift.:D:thumb::rofl:Rough sketch of stand.JPG

Getting set to rip 2x4s.JPG

Half lap cuts on Rails.JPG

Half laps cut on legs.JPG

Parts assembled.JPG

Frame work complete.JPG

Center brace for top.JPG

Making wood plugs.JPG

Filler piece & Wood plugs.JPG

Front Filler pieces added.JPG

Hmmm, Seems to me there's somebody on this site with a motto of "when in doubt, build it stout"! That sure looks like it'll keep the floor and the fish tanks apart from each other :thumb: :thumb:

That's a lot of half laps you cut there. What did you use to cut them all? Just curious...:

your work is always well planned and the finished products are always great.
(Im just admiring the the neatness and organization of that shop, and those floors.......whoa.......you have nicer floors in your shop then alot of people have in their living room)envious, for sure.