Root Burr

Chas Jones

Another bit of Root with a split personality, not a curly shaving in site just a shop full of cocoa coloured dust.

Attachments

• DSCN2190.JPG
    DSCN2190.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN2191.JPG
    DSCN2191.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2192.JPG
    DSCN2192.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN2194.JPG
    DSCN2194.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 30
Very nice, Chas. :thumb: I enjoy turning pieces of wood like this...you never know what you're going to find until you get inside them. ;)

Wood unknown Michael, general consensus when discussing it with the Donor was that it was a root burr and originated in Australia as far as he knew. This is a scrap, looks as though the outside surface was subject to fire damage, forest fire maybe?

Attachments

• DSCN2200 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2200 (Medium).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN2201 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2201 (Medium).JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 21
I have a couple pc's of root or root balls - I have never turned any and now you got me thinking about trying it out. At first I would have thought it had to many knots-cracks-etc......but if its holds together like yours did it may come out nice looking.................either way yours looks great............

Yes Dan, a bit of caution regarding the potential to launch is needed, I had to use a small ring faceplate to hold this for the bulk of the turning/hollowing, not sound enough for a simple spigot.
One feature/occlusion, whatever, went pretty well through half of the piece, a generous dose of CA to bond the included bark and bridging of the odd risk area with some bonded dust and coffee grounds works wonders in keeping things all together.