Kitchen Floor Replacement

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, I'm starting to remove the parquet flooring in the kitchen.

What I'm finding is that it's hit and miss. Some tiles come out like they were never glued, and some are glued so tight to the particle board subfloor that the particle board subfloor is coming up with it.

That's right, particle board subfloor. I guess when this house was built that was the norm. :bang:

I'm going to continue to pull the tiles, as I can't stand them.

Just wanted to get opinions on if you think I should replace the subfloor as well... I knew this was going to be a nightmare...

Last edited:
On second thought, is there even any reason I need to pull it up?

The laminate I'm putting down isn't that thick, and won't really raise the surface up that much higher. Only issue I think might be the bottom drawer on the stove. The door clears the laminate if I put it on the parquet.

On second thought, is there even any reason I need to pull it up?

The laminate I'm putting down isn't that thick, and won't really raise the surface up that much higher. Only issue I think might be the bottom drawer on the stove. The door clears the laminate if I put it on the parquet.

What about dishwasher removal/replacement? Will it interfere with that?

Is the particle board the ONLY subfloor, or is it quarter inch thick underlayment, with a plywood sub-floor under it?

My kitchen had ceramic tile, but when I removed the tile, I found that PB crap under it, but a ¾" ply sub-floor under that, so I was able to remove the PB and lay the laminate directly on the plywood (after I put about five hundred additional screws into the plywood - no more squeaks!).

Hmm, Hadn't thought of that. I'll check and see.

It would definitely mess up the dishwasher removal...

I did see a lot of flex on the particle board, so maybe it is just a thin layer...

What about dishwasher removal/replacement? Will it interfere with that?

Is the particle board the ONLY subfloor, or is it quarter inch thick underlayment, with a plywood sub-floor under it?

My kitchen had ceramic tile, but when I removed the tile, I found that PB crap under it, but a ¾" ply sub-floor under that, so I was able to remove the PB and lay the laminate directly on the plywood (after I put about five hundred additional screws into the plywood - no more squeaks!).

Jim, You just made my day. Can't thank you enough. :thumb: :thumb:

Went and checked where the carpet meets the floor and sure enough, it goes Parquet, Partical Board, Plywood.

Guess I need to go get some underlayment before I go crazy lifting stuff up.

Thanks Chuck too! This is now 'doable'...

Cool, I got a big ole box of screws and a bunch of bits.

Just got back from the store with one of these

image_8497.jpg

a bunch of screws, and a bunch of 7/16 OSB. The 3/8 mdf was twice the cost, so I figured I'd just go with the OSB. Everything will work out to about the same height once I have the laminate installed, as the laminate is about 1/16 thinner than the parquet, and the parquet was on 3/8 particle board.

Well, see you guys tomorrow, got work to do... :doh:

Well, Got the old floor up.

It was a harbor freight to the rescue day, that's for sure.

The nail remover worked great until I got to the original kitchen foot print. The rest of the floor had been nailed with plain old nails. The original part of the kitchen had been put down with ring shanks, and those puppys were still holding tight. It broke the nail remover and I welded it back together. The welds held until I only had a very small amount left. I figure for 14 bucks, it did it's job. I can still weld it back together again...

I also had the foresight to pick up one of the 59.99 HF toe kick saws...
image_3003.jpg

The cabinets were placed on top of the old floor, so I needed someway to cut through the flooring. Worked like a champ.

And when that couldn't get into the corners, I used the Harbor Freight vibrating multi tool with a little cutting blade to get through things.
image_2104.jpg

Found out the original original floor in the kitchen was some nasty fake red brick linoleum...

Well, On to screwing the subfloor down, then putting the underlayment on it, then installing the laminate... Should be a long day tomorrow...

(No I don't own stock in Harbor Freight :eek:, but I should, as much stuff of theirs I have that seems to follow me home...)

And when that couldn't get into the corners, I used the Harbor Freight vibrating multi tool with a little cutting blade to get through things.
image_2104.jpg
I bought one of these on your recommendation and found it to be very useful!

Found out the original original floor in the kitchen was some nasty fake red brick linoleum...

Any asbestos concerns?:eek:

Depending on the age of the house if it is asbestos it is best left alone and just sub floor over top of it rather than disturbing it. Screws or diversion staples to put the floor down. I have used both lots and I honestly have had no problems with either of them. Staples are way faster though.

Nah, just a tiny little bit of linoleum. Whatever is there, is captured under the cabs.

All I dealt with today was mainly particle board and parquet. And it's gone.

And I like the way the bare plywood looks over the parquet! At least the joints on the plywood are tight...

Now hold the phone guys...............
I think we might all be being sucked in to some kinda Tom foolery.
I for one have seen no proof that Brent has a parquet let alone that he has ripped it out.:thumb:
For all we know he's been playing on Face Book all day:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wish I could say it was real tile, but the floor we have is a little too 'bouncy' and I think that the tile and grout would crack. It's a laminate floor with a kind of tile look. Should match the cabs and rest of the stuff pretty well...

a9d42c78-b36a-44d2-b903-888602ef92b7_300.jpg

Tuscan Bronze Laminate

Last edited: