oak root BH

Oak root bollow hox.:rofl: with keith burnes finial. 9"x 4" with ebonized cherry finial and base. The base ain't glued on yet so i can change it if you think it should be changed. I know the pic of it ain't real good,but it is supposed to look similar to the top. All c&c welcome as always.
Steve

Attachments

• 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    96 KB · Views: 26
  • 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 27
I'd have the finial and base a lot thinner if it were me, maybe personal preference. Each piece is fine but they seem to be mismatched. If the finial came from a much slimmer base where it meets the globe and the base stem were to be a lot slimmer it would be great instead of just good.

Pet

I like it alot! Beautiful wood and great job. To my eye, and I dont do finials..yet... I think the taper at the pedestal could be a little more the size of the finial. But then I'm chronically attracted to symmetry, hence, my newfound love for the lathe! Thanks for posting.
mj

Ya done good, Steve. :clap: I agree with the comments about making the finial and the pedestal thinner, but I like the forms. (Especially the hox. Great wood, very pleasing form, and it looks to be very nicely bollowed, too.) :p I'd say this is a very nice piece. :thumb:

Well I know I couldn't accomplish what he has done. I love the piece and I'm not a real fans of the very delicate pieces. Just my preference. I like the final as base as they are. THe hox looks heavy and therefore the heavier finial and base seem to fit. I really like the finish you gave it.

Well I know I couldn't accomplish what he has done. I love the piece and I'm not a real fans of the very delicate pieces. Just my preference. I like the final as base as they are. THe hox looks heavy and therefore the heavier finial and base seem to fit. I really like the finish you gave it.

I agree.
The ability you guys have to make items like that amazes me. :thumb::thumb:

Well i thank each and everyone of ya. Now i know that the base is a little fat, and the finial is different. The finial is only 3/16 at the small end and not quite 3/8 at the fattest. With it being cherry and not a very tuff wood i didn't dare go any thinner. If it had been real ebony i might have gone down to 1/8x 5/16.:dunno: Now the base is 1/4x 1/2 so again if it was real ebony i might of gone thinner. I'm adding a pic with out the hox and putting in a #2 pencil to give some comprehension.

Attachments

• 021 [800x600].JPG
    021 [800x600].JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 9