LN's Anniversary Bronze 4.5

Boy that sure is a good looking tool, I'd almost be afraid to use it, almost :D

What is the advantage of the Bronze casting over the usual iron castings?

Is it just looks, or is there a performance gain?

Just curious.

Cheers!

Actually Stu, the Bronze has a reduced friction coefficient of .0000548 and that coupled with the orientation of the bronze cellular matrix in the sole in relation to the direction of the work applied makes the effort required to move the plane in a linear direction just about the same.

I really have no clue. Just wanted to post. :D :D :D

Congrats Steve, those are very sexy looking planes.

stu, the biggest plus is weight, bronze is heaver than castiron, also looks they`re just pretty......tod

Steve, I like the way you think. I was considering buying one for too long. By the time I convinced my cheap old self that it might just make sense to buy one, they were all spoken for. And I don't think you'll have to wait 100 years for them to be worth more.
Best wishes,
Ken

What is the advantage of the Bronze casting over the usual iron castings?
Not everyone considers the bronze to be better, and many people report getting more dark marks on their wood when using one than when using ductile iron.

In the case with the bronze and cocobolo, the color coordination is spectacular, to me anyway. Not enough to have ordered one, but they look great. :p

Actually Stu, the Bronze has a reduced friction coefficient of .0000548 and that coupled with the orientation of the bronze cellular matrix in the sole in relation to the direction of the work applied makes the effort required to move the plane in a linear direction just about the same.

I really have no clue. Just wanted to post. :D :D :D

Congrats Steve, those are very sexy looking planes.

Guess I'll have to print this one out Mark, and save it.:)

Some of them words just kinda fly over me head.:eek: :D

Received mine yesterday. It is beautiful, a lot of sapwood on the tote. Polished the back and put a secondary bevel on the blade this morning (David Charlesworth method). It will take a thous. shaving easily.

Brian:thumb:

Received mine yesterday. It is beautiful, a lot of sapwood on the tote. Polished the back and put a secondary bevel on the blade this morning (David Charlesworth method). It will take a thous. shaving easily.

Brian:thumb:

Super!! I'm getting a little anxious awaiting mine.

I must be getting closer to getting the first one I ordered, according to Cian's list on Woodnet. I then ordered the other two a couple of weeks later.

Well I received my first one ordered yesterday, 12-05-06

It's still in the box, unseen

Today, I received my other two, unwrapped, unseen.
So I now have a new set of triplets.:D

Things get quieted down around here in a few days and I get a shop roof back on, I'll unpackage them and post a pic:D

Opened up one of my new triplets.
These 4.5's are heavy :thumb:

First out of the box is #351
Try to get some pics up later.

Hopefully the other two are numbered after this one.
I received 1, then the others the next day:huh: