Diamond in the rough

Don Baer

Staff member
Picked this little guy up at HF for $14.00 On sale.
attachment.php
It didn't have the regulator on but I just borrowed the one off my bigger HVLP gun. Works great for small jobs when you don't want to get the biger one dirty. The cup holds about a cup.

Attachments

• IMG_1714.JPG
    IMG_1714.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 94
I just found out today that HF is opening a store about 20 minutes from my house:beer::bounce::bliss:

I currently have to drive to Worcester Mass. about 1-1/2 hrs away ( and pay sales tax as well)

I've been thinking bout one of those. I hate finishing and think that it would make the job easier.

There are a lot of guys on the auto painting forums who've said good things about that gun. :thumb: I've got a mini HVLP gun that I love every time I use it, but it cost about 20 times what you paid for the HF version.

I've been thinking about getting that, but I don't know if my compressor would run it.

Chris I am running it on a small little two tank job site compressor. The thing runs at about 20 psi, that why I have the regulator on the gun so I can set the pressure without going back to the compressor. You can pick up the regulator while your at hf also. I think they run less then $10.

For the record I'm running the 2HP/8gal HF one.

I wonder if it's possible to hook up an accessory air tank in series for longer bursts?

I don't know for certain, but I suspect either Chris' or Allen's compressors would run that gun OK as long as you're not trying to spray a whole kitchen's worth of cabinets in a single shot. Something like a piece of furniture shouldn't overwork the compressor. I guess it all depends on how believable the CFM ratings are...for both the gun and the compressor. :p Seems like the compressor manufacturers tend to inflate the CFM output, while the tool manufacturers tend to understate the CFM requirements. :rolleyes:

I did a bit of checking, though, and I see that model isn't the same HVLP detail gun I've seen the auto guys talk about. (That one's more in the $50 range.) The $14 model looks like it actually uses a bit less air, and I'll bet it's real handy for smaller jobs if it's set up right. One thing I like about the mini guns is the smaller spray pattern. (At least with mine.) Most of what I've sprayed have been turned pieces, so the smaller pattern has been an advantage, especially for things like shading a piece with dyes.