In need of a band saw

Chris Hatfield

Former Member (by the member's request)
I'm trying to cut out pieces to make the legs for my chairs, and a jigsaw is absolute murder on my arm. I'm using way too much effort, an wasting too much wood. So, I feel it's finally time to get a band saw.

If you've seen my shop, you know the issue is space. Well, and power too. So as much as I'd love a 14" model, I just can't. So I'm looking at 9" and 10" bench models. And since I'm going small, I really don't feel the need to spend a lot of money.

Of the entry level models out there right now - The Ryobi BS903, the Skil 3385, the Craftsman 21400 (or any others sub-$200) and that can cut at least 3" stock, what would you go for?

Or what other solution would you use to cut out curves?

IMHO, anything smaller than a 14" bandsaw is a useless toy. You will be dissapointed. Do try to find room in the shop for a decent bs. Put on a mobile base or whatever.
Another solution, don't use 'flat' legs. Get a lathe. ;)
Check out the Grizzly Christmas sale flyer. Their new line of Polar Bear tools are featured.

Chris I have the little Ryobi, it is good for 1/4 plywood. That's about it. I know some use small ones for sizing pen blanks and stuff, but don't waste your money, it's too hard to come by.

If I bought a saw that big it would have to sit outside. I simply do not have the room.

Any chance then of maybe finding someone's you could borrow?

My dad had a little 3 wheel craftsman benchtop. Just could not keep the thing tracking no matter what.

Any chance then of maybe finding someone's you could borrow?

My dad had a little 3 wheel craftsman benchtop. Just could not keep the thing tracking no matter what.

My dad a one also and the wheels are so small the blades just wont track. I have a 12" and while it gets the job done I wish I had a bigger one. It's fine on 4/4 but try to cut 8/4 or re-saw and it bogs down.

I have a 10" saw that is very useful. It is only used for very small cuts and I have a 17" saw for actual bandsawing. You are saying that the jigsaw is killing your arm. I am wondering about he jigsaw. My Bosch 1591 cuts 8/4 hardwoods with very little effort and leave a scary-smooth surface. If room is a problem and you don't bandsaw much, a good jigsaw will do many things.

Perhaps. It's the 18v Ryobi, but my issue was more with how much sawing I was doing.

This weekend is going to be a full on cleanup in the yard to get rid of my waste, and if I get a chance I'll be pulling all unnecessary things out of the shed and under the house that is safe to put down there. I might have a better idea of just how much room I'll have. But I would be shocked if I made enough room for a big saw.

So I won't be able to try out a couple of different techniques to get this thing cut until Monday at best.

18 Volt? Cordless?

Maybe a Bosch 110v would be just the ticket. It is a very good jig saw, and certainly smaller than a bandsaw. Less than $200, too!

I do have a corded jig, but the 18v are just more convenient. I think it's even a Bosch, some low-grade consumer model.

18 Volt? Cordless?

Maybe a Bosch 110v would be just the ticket. It is a very good jig saw, and certainly smaller than a bandsaw. Less than $200, too!

This suggestion gets my vote. I had a little benchtop bandsaw once, and it wasn't worth the bench space it took up.

I do have a corded jig, but the 18v are just more convenient. I think it's even a Bosch, some low-grade consumer model.

The Bosch jigsaws are not a low-grade consumer models. The difference in running the Bosch and your Ryobi are about like the difference in driving a Cadillac CTS and a wood-wheeled cart. I had used a number of different jigsaws before, but didn't realize how a good jigsaw should feel until I got the Bosch. ;)

Ahhh, The ole Black and Decker Hand Massager/Jig Saw.... Had one of those before I got my Bosch. World of difference.

Maybe a used Bosch wouldn't break the bank? I see some on ebay for less than 75$ Bosch Jigsaws on Ebay

Mine has taken some serious abuse from me. Broke the aluminum shoe once cutting metal. Got a new shoe and it's as smooth as ever...

The jig was a Black & Decker.

The Bosch jig isn't going to happen.

Black and Decker? No wonder you don't like using it. I have one too, so I'm pretty familiar with how they compare to a good one. Sorry to have suggested something better. Since you're hellbent on a bandsaw, I wouldn't recommend anything less than this one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080327/28906/Rikon-10-Bench-Top-Bandsaw-Model-10305.aspx

The Sears 21400 looks like it might be essentially the same saw.

Chris, I have a saw from HF, thought it the biggest piece of junk. Remembered using it and loving it, don't know why it went to heck. In the lumber yard last year, remembered I didn't have jig saw blades, looked at the price of their bosch blades (knowing the Dollar General had packages of 30 or so for 2.99) but didn't have the spare time, bought one of the bosch jig saw blades. STILL ON THERE, CUT HUNDREDS OF TIMES, MY GOOD SAW IS BACK!!!!! If you are buying those cheap blades in combo packs, go to a lumber yard and get the good bosch blades. You will not regret it. Might even make that B/D run like a chevy camaro. :doh::huh::dunno::p:rofl::rofl:
I am serious about the difference a great blade makes.