SU- Mirroring?

Jeff Horton

Here is one for you Dave. I have an entertainment center drawn Consists of three pieces. Left and Right and center. L and R are mirror images. how do I mirror the one section?

Jeff

I just remembered a little video capture I did demonstrating the mirroring technique. Unfortunately there's no sound. Here's the play by play, though.

After copying the component (or components) and moving then as desired, select the Scale tool. Grab a green handle in the middle of one of the sides. It turns red. Hold the Ctrl key to activate Scale About Center. (at about 11 seconds into the video) Start pushing the handle in toward the center and through. Let go of the mouse button and Ctrl key. Type -1, Enter. The component or components will no be mirrored.

In the video, after mirroring the component, I cut an arc shape out just to show that the copy of the component was indeed mirrored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsuI3tjP0g0

Mirror

I have also just started SU comming from extensive use of DesignCad 3D. I make a copy of a component and the use flip. This flips it in place you may need to experiment a bit with the axis. It took me a while to figure out that it is referencing the component axis not the model axis. Thus the way I draw parts it turned out to always be the blue axis.

Keith, welcome to FWW. Your method works but as you say, you have to be careful with where the component axes are. Using the Scale tool to mirror a component means you don't need to worry about it. There are some instance, however when Flip works better. I rarely run into them though and I use the Sacle/Mirror function frequently.