Birdhouse showdown - GET YOUR PHOTOS SENT IN

Rob Keeble

In the words of that Chef on Foodnetwork Bobby Flay are you ready for

for a Birdhouse showdown.:rofl:

Well sign up here if you want to join in the Birdhouse turning or flatwork showdown

Entrants so far

Don
Rob
Jonathan
John
Drew ...maybe:stick:

Any other takers.
We will put up a poll when all done and let the members vote. Just like we did for the snowman that Chuck now has the pleasure of looking after. Anyone want to have a go at the rules. I mean Don we have to have something that levels the playing field when we get entrants like Paul and Bernie.

Rustic has to be IN.:thumb:
You gotta have a bird.:thumb:
Gotta have a hanging eyelet:thumb:

Anymore ???

We will set it up so its finished before Xmas so its in time to put them on our trees.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Jonathan flatworkers too. Anyone can enter now and we can enter in both categories.

Family members too. Good one to get the young uns involved for Xmas, flat birdhouse is very doable for kids.

But flat birdhouse should be decorated too. and bird.:D For those into bats a batbox will sneak in under the wire.:rofl:

In the words of that Chef on Foodnetwork Bobby Flay are you ready for

for a Birdhouse showdown.:rofl:

Well sign up here if you want to join in the Birdhouse turning or flatwork showdown

Entrants so far

Don
Rob
Jonathan

Any other takers.
We will put up a poll when all done and let the members vote. Just like we did for the snowman that Chuck now has the pleasure of looking after. Anyone want to have a go at the rules. I mean Don we have to have something that levels the playing field when we get entrants like Paul and Bernie.

Rustic has to be IN.:thumb:
You gotta have a bird.:thumb:
Gotta have a hanging eyelet:thumb:

Anymore ???

We will set it up so its finished before Xmas so its in time to put them on our trees.:)

What's a "hanging eyelet"? What do you mean "you gotta have a bird"? A bird decoration?

I'd like to be in, but could it be bigger than 3" X 4"? The birds out here couldn't fit in a bird house that size.............?

Cynthia, the birdhouses in question are intended to be holiday ornaments. They're miniature in size, and the "bird" is a little decorative bird from Micheal's or other craft stores.

Eugen Schlaak does some very nice ones:

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/Bird%20House.pdf

I might ought to see if I can knock a few of these out between now and my next show. :whistling:

As an aside, here's a full-sized one I turned out of a red eucalyptus log (on my previous lathe):

Birdhouse Raw Log 800.jpg Between Centers 800T.jpg Birdhouse1a 800 LR.jpg

Nice birdhouse Vaughn. Cynthia, Vaughn is heading you in the correct direction. See that beautiful birdhouse he turned, it would break a Christmas tree branch! :doh::rofl::rofl: Yep, just ornaments. Let your imagination run wild.

Don John

Cynthia this can also be a flatwork birdhouse but its decoration size. :D

Vaughn thats a neat turning where the pictures been hiding. Thanks for the tutorial you saved me once again.

Last edited:
I'll give it a try. Please add me to the list.
I've never made one of these before so not real sure I'll know how. But it might be fun to try. Count me in.
I would like to see the final draft on the rules all put together in one post....is that posible?

Tom

Last edited:
Probably late for this year's rules, but maybe next year hold a Secret Santa drawing and have everyone send their BH to another BH builder. Maybe have them send it by a certain date and then have the receiver post the pictures. That way the judging will be totally unbiased as we won't know who built it till after the results :santa::santa:

OK, I know I'm over thinking this (as I'm often accused)...have fun everyone :thumb::thumb: