Wood Glue

Doug DeVore

I ran out of glue in the middle of a project and ran down the street to walmart to get some. They only had Gorilla and Elmers pro glue. Never really thought I was brand loyal to titebond II until I could not get my hands on it in a pinch. So I picked up both and headed for home. I don't think I have to worry too much about either, but anyone ever have a bad glue experience? Not a bad glue up (dry joint), I am talking about pure product failure? What I am getting at is I think most wood glues are decent, but are there any that really stink?

Doug I have used them both and found that either work well. I don't use the Gorilla goop any more, I found that it has a short shelf life and it is too messy for my liking. The Elmers Pro is in my opinion as good as the Titebond, BUT, I am like you, am brand loyal to Titebond, I have the regular, and type II, and III on the shelf depending on what I am doing.
Chuck

Usually, Joint failure is due to procedures rather than brand. (aside from cheap discount store goop)

Never had product failure, but I always use Titebond. It is a lot more forgiving then other glues IMO

I NEVER use titebond....:mad:

They do stock it here, but it is usually at least 3 or 4 times the price of the Made in Japan PVA glue and it is often over a year old sitting on the shelf.

I buy whichever brand is on sale, there are only two made in Japan PVA glue brands at the store I shop at, and usually one is on sale. I buy the 1Kg bag and refill my bottles, I've never had a problem :thumb:

I agree with Chuck Hans... the gorilla glues are too messy for my tastes... although I do use them when I do cartridge pens... It fills the cartridge and centers the tube... but for woods I use what ever brand I happen to pick up... I've not had a failure on any brand - yet.

I NEVER use titebond....:mad:

They do stock it here, but it is usually at least 3 or 4 times the price of the Made in Japan PVA glue and it is often over a year old sitting on the shelf.

I buy whichever brand is on sale, there are only two made in Japan PVA glue brands at the store I shop at, and usually one is on sale. I buy the 1Kg bag and refill my bottles, I've never had a problem :thumb:

I'm assuming its comparable to Titebond? Would it be I, II, or III compatible?

Just curious.

Glad to see no one has had any real problems with all of the major brands. Maybe I will start reaching for some others?

Tried out the elmers tonight and was very pleased with it. Seemed to be very similar to the TB blue stuff.

I will try the gorilla wood glue out another time. If it's anything like their other fancy glue it should be impressive.

Any good PVA will serve you well. GG works well but I too have found is more trouble than it is worth. I now buy a small bottle if I need that type of glue as I know whatever I don't use will be unusable if I try to save it for any length of time.